Lightning/Sparks physics equation

• Thread starter agadish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of lightning simulation and the need for equations to understand its physics. The question of whether a lightning can split and merge at two points was also raised. Steve recommended "The Lightning Discharge" by Martin Uman as a valuable resource for learning about lightning. The conversation ended with a recommendation to purchase the book online.
agadish
Hi there,
I'm programming a lightning simulation project and I need some equations about sparks physics in order to know when a lightning splits, calculate it's energy and etc.
And I also have a question: Is it posible that a lightning from one point to another will find two same roots and will split at point one and then merge at point two?
Thank you very much!

Science news on Phys.org
Look at "The Lightning Discharge", by Martin Uman, Dover, 2001.

Respectfully,
Steve

Thank you for the comment Steve.
I've searched the book but I couldn't find a free version of it, and I don't want to buy it because I don't know if it will help me.
I thought about the lightning and conjectured that a lightning splits to every comfortable route when it comes out from the lightning until one or more route get to the ground.
I conjectured that in that moment every split of the lightning continutes to the ground if it takes less energy than returning to the main split which arrived the ground. Is it true?
P.S: Sorry if my english was bad

agadish, I agree with Steve: Anyone and everyone who is interested in learning about lightning should own a copy of Uman's latest book, and study it, also.

You can buy it online at Amazon.com:

"The Lightning Discharge" (Dover Books on Physics) by Martin A. Uman and Physics (Jan 24, 2001)

US $14.83

The little book carries a wealth of informative facts and does answer most of what you asked about here. If you do not find exactly the answer in Uman's book, then probably the references given in the book will help.

Hello! I can provide you with some equations and information about the physics of lightning and sparks. One of the key equations that describes the behavior of lightning is known as the "force balance equation." This equation takes into account factors such as the electric field, current density, and temperature to determine the path and behavior of a lightning bolt.

As for your question about a lightning bolt splitting and merging at two points, it is possible but rare. This phenomenon is known as "forked lightning" and occurs when a lightning bolt is attracted to two separate points of opposite charge. However, the chances of this happening are very low and it is difficult to predict when and where it may occur.

In terms of calculating the energy of a lightning bolt, there are several factors that need to be considered such as the voltage, current, and duration of the strike. The equation for calculating the energy of a lightning bolt is: Energy = 0.5 x capacitance x voltage squared.

I hope this information helps with your simulation project. Best of luck!

Related to Lightning/Sparks physics equation

1. What is the physics equation for lightning/sparks?

The physics equation for lightning/sparks is known as the "Maxwell-Faraday equation" or "Maxwell's equation for induction". It is written as:

∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t

where ∇ x E represents the curl of the electric field, ∂B/∂t represents the change in the magnetic field over time, and the negative sign indicates that the electric field is induced in the opposite direction of the changing magnetic field.

2. How does the physics equation for lightning/sparks explain the creation of electricity?

The Maxwell-Faraday equation explains how electricity is created through the process of electromagnetic induction. When there is a change in the magnetic field, it induces an electric field, resulting in the flow of electricity. Lightning and sparks are created when there is a buildup of electric charge in the atmosphere, and the resulting discharge is a form of electromagnetic induction.

3. Can the physics equation for lightning/sparks be used to predict the occurrence of lightning or sparks?

While the Maxwell-Faraday equation is a fundamental equation in understanding the physics of lightning and sparks, it cannot be used to predict their occurrence. Lightning and sparks are complex phenomena influenced by various factors such as atmospheric conditions and the buildup of electric charge. Therefore, while the equation can help us understand the underlying physics, it cannot be used as a predictive tool.

4. How does the physics equation for lightning/sparks relate to other equations in electromagnetism?

The Maxwell-Faraday equation is one of four Maxwell's equations, which form the basis of classical electromagnetism. It relates to the other equations by describing the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other. The other three equations deal with electric charge, electric flux, and the curl of the magnetic field.

5. Is the physics equation for lightning/sparks applicable to all types of lightning and sparks?

The Maxwell-Faraday equation is a general equation that applies to all types of lightning and sparks. However, the intensity and complexity of these phenomena may require additional equations or modifications to fully explain them. For example, the physics of lightning in a thunderstorm is different from that of a static discharge, and therefore, may require additional equations to fully understand the process.