Lightning Mystery: AC DC & Neutral Fields/Currents in Earth

In summary, I have heard that lightning in the tropics is responsible for creating AC DC and Neutral fields/currents in the Earth that spread all over the planet. Can anyone confirm this as a theory or fact? And if so, who formed the theory and when?
I have heard lightning in the tropics is responsable for creating AC Dc and Neutral fields/currents in the Earth that spread all over the planet. Can anyon confirm this as a theory or fact and if so who formed the theory and when.
regards
tony

Science news on Phys.org
The ionospheric layer of the atmosphere is electricaly conductive and can transport charges anywhere on the planet. Thunderstorms act like giant VanDeGraff generators and charge up the ionosphere-earth as though it were an enormous Leyden jar. This produces a faily constant electric field over the whole surface of the earth.

whooooo! Back in Black all the way dude!

yea but i have no idea...good luck

Tyger said:
The ionospheric layer of the atmosphere is electricaly conductive and can transport charges anywhere on the planet. Thunderstorms act like giant VanDeGraff generators and charge up the ionosphere-earth as though it were an enormous Leyden jar. This produces a faily constant electric field over the whole surface of the earth.

I would add that I think the only reason for the specific reference to the tropics is the daily level of activity. I don't know of anything special about the tropics otherwise.

For the AC effects see Schuman Resonance. This low frequency atmospheric EM is thought to be produced by lighting. It can be measured and is an area of interest for various fields of study. I can't help but wonder if a connection exists between Schuman Resonance and our brainwaves; which are both composed of the same of frequencies almost exactly.
http://www.oulu.fi/~spaceweb/textbook/schumann.html

Also, there is a continuous rain of charge that falls onto the Earth in the form of charged dust particles, rain, ice, and snow. This ultimately creates the net positive charge on Earth that is returned to the sky via lighting. The average worldwide current flow in this regard is about 1800 amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. I had a friend who once observed so much positive voltage generated by snow flakes hitting a long antenna that he could flash a neon lamp by connecting it between the antenna and ground.

Related to Lightning Mystery: AC DC & Neutral Fields/Currents in Earth

1. What is the main difference between AC and DC currents in lightning?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents in lightning is the direction in which the electricity flows. AC current constantly changes direction, while DC current flows in one direction. Lightning typically contains both AC and DC currents, with the AC component causing the visible flashes and the DC component causing the destructive effects.

2. How do neutral fields affect lightning?

Neutral fields do not play a direct role in the formation of lightning. However, they can affect the path that lightning takes and can cause damage to electronic devices by inducing high voltages in their circuitry. Neutral fields are important in understanding the distribution of electric charge in the atmosphere and how it can lead to lightning strikes.

3. What is the relationship between lightning and Earth's magnetic field?

Lightning is closely related to Earth's magnetic field, as the magnetic field helps to guide and shape the path of lightning. The magnetic field also plays a role in the formation of thunderstorms, which can produce lightning. Additionally, lightning can affect Earth's magnetic field by creating electromagnetic waves that can be detected by satellites and other instruments.

4. How do scientists study lightning mysteries?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study lightning, including direct observations, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations. They also use instruments such as lightning mapping arrays, high-speed cameras, and electric field meters to collect data on lightning strikes. By analyzing this data, scientists can better understand the physics of lightning and its effects on the environment.

5. What are some potential applications of studying lightning mysteries?

Studying lightning can have practical applications in areas such as weather forecasting, power grid management, and lightning protection. By understanding the behavior of lightning, scientists and engineers can develop better strategies for mitigating its effects and improving safety. Lightning research can also help us better understand the Earth's atmosphere and its interactions with other systems, such as the Sun and the magnetic field.