Lightning impulse high voltage test

In summary, the conversation is about two different waveforms that are both related to lightning impulse waveforms. The first waveform is a standard "Combo Wave" used in surge testing, while the second waveform is not recognized. The person is asking for clarification on the difference between the two and where the waveform images came from.
MissP.25_5
Hello, I am posting this here becase this is not a homework, it;s just something I need to know.
Please tell me what these two waveforms mean? I know that they're both lightning impulse waveform but what is the difference between those two, what gives them their shapes?

Attachments

• yahoo.JPG
    yahoo.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 524
Engineering news on Phys.org
where did you get these waveform images from?
have you got some references ?

cheers
Dave

MissP.25_5 said:
Hello, I am posting this here becase this is not a homework, it;s just something I need to know.
Please tell me what these two waveforms mean? I know that they're both lightning impulse waveform but what is the difference between those two, what gives them their shapes?

The first looks like a standard "Combo Wave" waveform used in Surge testing (which simulates lightning strikes to AC Mains supply lines leading to equipment). The standard test is EN 61000-4-5. I don't recognize the 2nd waveform...

Related to Lightning impulse high voltage test

1. What is a lightning impulse high voltage test?

A lightning impulse high voltage test is a type of electrical test used to determine the ability of a device or system to withstand sudden voltage surges, similar to those caused by lightning strikes. This test is commonly used to assess the insulation properties of electrical equipment.

2. Why is a lightning impulse high voltage test necessary?

This type of test is necessary because lightning strikes and other transient voltage events can cause significant damage to electrical equipment. By subjecting the equipment to high voltage impulses, any potential weaknesses in the insulation can be identified and addressed before the equipment is put into use.

3. How is a lightning impulse high voltage test performed?

The test involves applying a series of high voltage impulses to the equipment, simulating the effects of a lightning strike. The impulses are carefully controlled and measured, and the equipment is monitored for any signs of breakdown or failure. The results of the test are then analyzed to determine the equipment's ability to withstand transient voltage events.

4. What types of equipment are typically tested using a lightning impulse high voltage test?

Lightning impulse high voltage tests are commonly used on electrical transformers, cables, insulators, and other high voltage equipment. They are also used in the testing of electrical systems, such as power grids and distribution networks.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken during a lightning impulse high voltage test?

Yes, this type of test involves working with high voltages, so proper safety precautions must be taken. This includes using appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper procedures, and working with experienced and trained personnel. Additionally, the equipment being tested should be properly grounded and isolated to prevent any potential hazards.