Lightly Damped Simple Harmonic Oscillator Resonant Frequency Formula Explained

• Thread starter mbigras
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the fractional change in the resonant frequency of a lightly damped simple harmonic oscillator is approximately equal to (8Q^2)^-1. This can be derived by expanding the square root expression according to binomial/Taylor and taking the first few terms as an approximation. The formula for the resonant frequency is ωm = ω0(1 - 1/(2Q)^2)^1/2.
mbigras

Homework Statement

Show that the fractional change in the resonant frequency ([itex]\Delta \omega/ \omega_{0}[/itex]) of a lightly damped simple harmonic oscillator is ≈ [itex](8Q^{2})^{-1}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Is this a formula for the resonant frequency?
[tex]
\omega_{m} = \omega_{0}\left(1 - \frac{1}{2Q^{2}}\right)^{1/2}
[/tex]
How would I use this formula?

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I'm in a place where I'm not sure what this question is asking. I'm trying to move to a situation where I understand what is being asked. What does fractional change in the resonant frequency mean? What parameter is changing that causes the resonant frequency to change?

Physics news on Phys.org
When Q is infinite, the resonant frequency =ω0

At any practical value of Q, the resonant frequency changes from this a little, and becomes
resonant frequency =ωm as given in that equation.

I'm speculating that they want you to use the first term of a Taylor Series expansion to approx a power of ½ by something to a power of 1.

mbigras said:
Is this a formula for the resonant frequency?
[tex]
\omega_{m} = \omega_{0}\left(1 - \frac{1}{2Q^{2}}\right)^{1/2}
[/tex]
That formula will not lead to the desired answer. Are you sure it isn't [itex]\omega_{m} = \omega_{0}\left(1 - \frac{1}{(2Q)^{2}}\right)^{1/2}[/itex]? That's what seems to be implied by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator.

so the fractional change means: how far away from [itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] is [itex]\omega_{m}[/itex]? How do I apply the taylor series expansion to this question?

Fractional change would be ( ωm - ω0 ) / ω0

See how much you can simplify that expression.

Likes 1 person
I'm getting
[tex]
\left(1-\frac{1}{2Q^{2}}\right)^{1/2}-1
[/tex]

mbigras said:
I'm getting
[tex]
[/tex]
... where Q is large, right? So expand the square root expression according to binomial / Taylor and take the first few terms as an approximation. You'll have to figure out how many terms to take.

Likes 1 person
thank you very kindly for your help. I see what you mean about how my formula needs parenthesis.

mbigras said:
I'm getting
[tex]
[/tex]
... where Q is large, right? So expand the square root expression according to binomial / Taylor and take the first few terms as an approximation. You'll have to figure out how many terms to take.

Related to Lightly Damped Simple Harmonic Oscillator Resonant Frequency Formula Explained

What is the quality factor?

The quality factor, also known as Q factor, is a dimensionless parameter that describes the damping of an oscillator or resonator. It is a measure of the efficiency and selectivity of a resonant system.

How is the quality factor calculated?

The quality factor is calculated by dividing the resonant frequency of a system by its bandwidth. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the energy stored in a resonator by the energy lost per cycle.

What does a high quality factor indicate?

A high quality factor indicates a system with low damping, meaning that the system can oscillate for a longer period of time without losing energy. This results in a sharper and more selective resonance peak.

What factors affect the quality factor?

The quality factor can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the resonator, the shape and size of the resonator, and the external environment. In general, a higher quality factor is desirable as it leads to better performance of the resonant system.

Why is the quality factor important?

The quality factor is important because it provides information about the efficiency and selectivity of a resonant system. It is a crucial parameter in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in the design of filters, antennas, and electronic circuits.