Light waves travelling in a material.

In summary, the conversation is discussing a project involving a 99% clear transparent Silicone sheet that allows light to pass through and is picked up by phototransistors. The individual is trying to understand how light behaves when the silicone is touched and is seeking help and resources to learn more about this. It is suggested that the touch alters the light transmission by deforming the surface, changing the direction of the light beam and reducing the light hitting the phototransistor. The use of incoherent light sources, such as LEDs, supports this explanation.
fre1091
Hi all.

I am doing a project in which I have a 99%clear transparent Silicone sheet. LEDs make light pass through this material which is than picked up by phototransistors on the other side. when someone/something touches the Silicone, this deforms and the phototransistors pick up different light signals. I need to understand how light behaves when a touch on the Silicone is made. Could someone help me please?

Science news on Phys.org
What tells you that the silicone alters the light transmission when it deforms?

I assumed it since the phototransistors change the voltage they produce

fre1091 said:
I assumed it since the phototransistors change the voltage they produce

Just to be clear, you've already tested this and seen the voltage change when you press on the sheet?

Yes i did. I just wish to understand how it is happening..

Thanks! This is a photo of the silicone being touched. Do you kindly have any good links where I can learn more about this please?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 522
Does it really have to do with silicone or is the "touch" deforming the surface slightly? That would change the direction of the light beam through the silicone and so (assuming the light beam was originally aimed at the phototransistors) reduce the light hitting the phototransistor.

yes it does but also I reckon that by a touch, physical properties change in the silicone and there might be some more internal reflections, dispersion and refractive index in the material.

If the light source is incoherent (which I am assuming is the case since you have a LED source), then surface deformation is the only plausible explanation.

Claude.

Related to Light waves travelling in a material.

1. How do light waves travel in a material?

Light waves travel in a material by interacting with the atoms and molecules within the material. As the light passes through the material, it is absorbed and re-emitted by these particles, causing it to slow down and change direction.

2. What determines the speed of light waves in a material?

The speed of light waves in a material is determined by the density and composition of the material. Materials with a higher density and more particles will cause the light waves to slow down more, while materials with a lower density and fewer particles will allow the light waves to travel faster.

3. How do different materials affect the behavior of light waves?

Different materials affect the behavior of light waves in various ways. Some materials, such as glass or water, can bend or refract light waves, while others, like metals, can reflect them. Additionally, the color of a material is determined by which wavelengths of light it absorbs and which it reflects.

4. Can light waves travel through all materials?

No, light waves cannot travel through all materials. Materials that are opaque, such as wood or metal, do not allow light to pass through them. However, some materials, such as glass or air, are transparent and allow light to pass through with minimal absorption or reflection.

5. How does the thickness of a material affect the travel of light waves?

The thickness of a material can affect the travel of light waves by causing them to undergo multiple interactions with the particles in the material. As the light waves pass through a thicker material, they are more likely to be absorbed and re-emitted multiple times, resulting in a slower overall speed and possibly a change in direction.