Light travel time since dark energy - matter equivalence

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance light has traveled since the matter-dark energy equivalence, assuming dark energy dominance from equivalence. The equation Ω0Λ = Ω0 - Ω0m = 0.685 is used to calculate z = 0.296. The next step is to use a solution of the Friedmann equation to find the light travel time, taking into account that the universe is expanding. The equation R3/2 ∝ t is also used to find the age of the universe at z = 0.296.
leonmate
So I'm looking to find the distance light has traveled since matter - dark energy equivalence. Assume dark energy dominance from equivalence.

Space-time has flat geometry and Ω0m = 0.315 , Ω0 = 1
Thus: Ω will equal Ω0 - Ω0m= 0.685

ρ0m (1 + zeq)3 = ρ

where: ρ0m = ρ0c * Ω0m
and: ρ = ρ0c * Ω

I used this to find z = 0.296

Next, I need to use this somehow to find the light travel time. My guess is that I should use a solution of the Friedmann equation and use it to find a time? I haven't been able to figure out how to do this so far. I think I may just need to find the right Friedmann equation for dark energy dominance and work it out from there. But, it's missing from my notes and I don't know how to get there.

Any pointers here guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
leonmate said:
Next, I need to use this somehow to find the light travel time. My guess is that I should use a solution of the Friedmann equation and use it to find a time?
That would help. You know the matter and dark energy density as function of the scale factor, this allows to calculate its derivatives (using the values observed today).
I guess assuming a linear expansion wouldn't be so completely wrong, however.

Ok,

Not entirely sure this is the best way to get a result but here's how I did it:

I showed in a previous question on this assignment that if you take the friedmann equation for a matter dominated universe you get:

(dR/dT)2 * R-2 = 8*π*G*ρ / 3 * R03/R3

If you solve this you eventually get to

R3/2 ∝ t

Using this relationship I found the age of the Universe at z = 0.296 (9.29 billion years) and assumed that after this moment dark energy dominates.

In order to find my light travel time do I need to take into account that the universe is expanding? Use co-moving distance maybe? We're taking a flat universe btw.

Related to Light travel time since dark energy - matter equivalence

1. What is the concept of light travel time since dark energy-matter equivalence?

The concept of light travel time since dark energy-matter equivalence refers to the time it takes for light to travel from a distant source to an observer, taking into account the effects of dark energy and matter on the expansion of the universe. This concept is important in understanding the age and evolution of the universe.

2. How does dark energy affect light travel time?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It affects light travel time by causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate, which means that light has to travel a longer distance to reach an observer than it would in a non-accelerating universe.

3. What is the significance of the matter equivalence in light travel time?

Matter equivalence refers to the idea that dark energy and matter have equal influence on the expansion of the universe. This is significant because it helps scientists to better understand the overall structure and evolution of the universe, as well as the role that dark energy and matter play in its expansion.

4. How does the speed of light impact light travel time since dark energy-matter equivalence?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, and it plays a crucial role in determining the light travel time since dark energy-matter equivalence. The speed of light is a limiting factor, as it is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe, and it affects the distance that light can travel in a given amount of time.

5. Can light travel faster than the speed of light due to dark energy-matter equivalence?

No, light cannot travel faster than the speed of light, even with the effects of dark energy and matter on the expansion of the universe. The speed of light is an unbreakable limit, and while the expansion of the universe may affect the distance that light has to travel, it cannot increase the speed at which light travels.