Light through a medium with variable refraction index

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of alpha in an equation that describes the trajectory of a light ray in a medium with varying refractive index. The equation is derived using the Euler-Lagrange equation and involves an integral with a square root. The initial integral has a typo, but if a +/- sign is included, a solution for alpha can be found. Mathematica can solve the integral, and it is suggested to assume alpha is small for an easier approximation.
WackStr

Homework Statement

This is from hand and finch. We proved in the previous problem that (using euler lagrange equation):

[tex]x=\int_0^y\frac{dy}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{n[y]}{n_0}\right)-1}}[/tex]

where [tex]n_0[/tex] is the refractive index at y=0 and x=0. The ray enters horizontally.

As an actual computation the book says that assume [tex]n[y]=n_0e^{-\alpha y}[/tex] and [tex]n_0=1.5[/tex]. Aslo y(30)=-1.

We need to find [tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the information given it seems like the equation we need to solve is

[tex]30=\int_0^{-1}\frac{dy}{\sqrt{e^{-2\alpha y}-1}}[/tex] for [tex]\alpha[/tex] but it seems like this equation has no solution.

So I am stuck at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica solves that integral.

But I don't know how to actually solve it.

I can post the solution to the integral if you want.

I know mathematic gives an analytical expression in terms of [tex]\alpha[/tex] but the equation seems to have no solution. (the integral is negative and the left hand side is positive)

Are you sure you're not supposed to assume alpha is small and approximate e^(-2ay) as 1-2ay?

actually I have a typo in the original integral it should be [tex]\left(\frac{n[y]}{n_0}\right)^2[/tex] and I figured out what the problem was. To get the expression we had to take a square root. So there should be a +/- sign. If we use the + sign we don't get a solution because RHS < 0 and LHS > 0, but we do get a solution if we put a - sign next to the initial integral and it gives a value for alpha and a nice trajectory for the light ray in the medium.

Related to Light through a medium with variable refraction index

What is refraction index?

Refraction index is a measure of how much a material can bend light as it passes through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

What is variable refraction index?

Variable refraction index refers to a material whose refraction index changes depending on certain factors such as temperature, pressure, or the presence of other substances.

How does light behave when passing through a medium with variable refraction index?

When light passes through a medium with variable refraction index, it will bend or change direction as it encounters different regions with different refraction indexes. This can lead to phenomena such as diffraction and dispersion.

What are some examples of materials with variable refraction index?

Some examples of materials with variable refraction index include water (which changes its index with temperature and salinity), air (which changes with temperature and pressure), and glass (which can have different indexes in different areas due to impurities or intentional variations).

What applications does the study of light through a medium with variable refraction index have?

The study of light through a medium with variable refraction index has many practical applications, such as in the design of lenses and optical fibers, in understanding the behavior of light in the atmosphere and ocean, and in the development of technologies like holography and laser machining.