Light Speed vs Vision: Is Optic Velocity Greater Than 300000km/s?

In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception about the speed of light and how we perceive objects that are far away. The speed of light is a constant and our vision does not have a velocity greater than the speed of light. Instead, we see objects as they were in the past due to the time it takes for light to travel. This is similar to feeling the impact of a ball that has been thrown at us.
A_I_
there's a question which is confusing me a little bit;
it is known and verified that the speed of light is about 300000km/s
well, as we look through the stars
which are very distant from us in thousands light-years
we notice that we can view them spontaneously.
thus, it doesn't take much time even though the distant is largly very great.

does this imply that our vision's velocity is greater than the speed of light,
or is it just an explanation for a light propagation like diffraction and diffusion, etc...?

Regards,
Joe

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A_I_ said:

Actually, we view them as they were in the past. We see a star that's ten light years away as it was ten years ago.

A_I_ said:
thus, it doesn't take much time even though the distant is largly very great.

does this imply that our vision's velocity is greater than the speed of light,
or is it just an explanation for a light propagation like diffraction and diffusion, etc...?

Regards,
Joe

Seems you have misconceptions on how light works. When you look at the stars you are seeing light that was emitted long ago. You can not "see" something until the light from that object enters your eye and is processed by your brain. If today a star 100 light years away blew up, or disappeared for some reason, we would not see it happen for 100 years.

The statement about your "visions velocity" is incorrect. Your vision is triggered by light entering your eye from some source. Imagine a ball being thrown in your direction. Your eyes are closed so you don't see it. The ball next hits you in the chest and you "feel" it. The same thing happens with light. The light is coming at you just like the ball but you never really "see" it, but instead your eye "feels" the impacts of photons hitting the retnia and the brain creates an image from the information.

thanks for clarifying the subject for me,
i was hesistating and i knew there was a mistake in my thoughts.

Related to Light Speed vs Vision: Is Optic Velocity Greater Than 300000km/s?

1. What is light speed and how is it related to vision?

Light speed refers to the speed at which light travels in a vacuum, which is approximately 300,000 kilometers per second. This speed is also known as the speed of light. Vision, on the other hand, is the ability of the eye to detect and process light, allowing us to see objects and our surroundings.

2. Is optic velocity greater than light speed?

No, optic velocity is not greater than light speed. In fact, light speed is the maximum possible speed in the universe, and nothing can travel faster than this speed.

3. How do we perceive light and objects moving at high speeds?

Our perception of light and objects moving at high speeds is based on the principles of relativity. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, when an object moves at high speeds, time and space are affected, causing distortions in our perception of them.

4. Can we travel at the speed of light?

According to the laws of physics, it is not possible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

5. How does light speed affect our understanding of the universe?

Light speed plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It allows us to observe and study objects that are millions or even billions of light-years away. The speed of light also helps us measure distances in the universe and understand the effects of gravity and time on objects at high velocities.