Light source at liquid nitrogen temps

In summary, the conversation is about finding a white light source to use in a cryostat at low temperatures. The current incandescent bulb has shifted its spectrum and they are looking for a replacement, preferably a solid-state source. The desired size is about the size of the middle segment of a finger. They eventually want to use a solar simulator with fiber optics, but for now they need a temporary fix. Someone suggests using a Luxeon 5W LED, but the original speaker is hesitant due to concerns about red shifting or the LED not working at low temperatures. The Luxeon LEDs have an operating range of -40°C to +135°C, which may not be suitable for their experiments. They may still consider trying one outside of
232Thorium
Can anyone recommend a white light source to be used in a cryostat down to 77 K? We are using it in temperature-dependent studies of PV devices. Currently we have an incandescent bulb which has shifted its spectrum towards red over time and we're looking for a replacement. It would be nice to have a solid-state source since the incandescent bulb obviously heats up quite a bit, but I don't know of any that work at such low temps.

It should be a small bulb, about the size of the middle segment of a finger. (Weird comparison, I know, but I was looking around my desk for something that people on the forum could relate to for size and this does the trick :smile:.)

We'd eventually like to run a solar simulator hooked up to fiber optics to get the light down the cryostat, but for now we're looking for a new bulb as a temporary fix. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use an LED? Luxeon makes 5W white ones that are incredibly bright.

I would love to, but as I understand it, LEDs either suffer significant red shifting upon cooling or else stop working completely. A Youtube search gave some interesting demos of this. I will check it out and report back.

Also, I looked up Luxeon LEDs and they are all rated with an operating temperature of -40°C to +135°C, which isn't good enough for our experiments. I may buy one and see what happens outside of their listed range. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Related to Light source at liquid nitrogen temps

1. What is a light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures?

A light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures refers to a source of light that is able to operate at extremely low temperatures, typically around -196 degrees Celsius. This is achieved by using materials and components that are able to withstand such low temperatures without losing their functionality.

2. How is a light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures created?

A light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures is usually created by cooling down a conventional light source, such as an LED or laser, using liquid nitrogen. The light source is then insulated to maintain its low temperature and prevent it from warming up too quickly.

3. What are the advantages of using a light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures?

The main advantage of using a light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures is its ability to emit light at very low temperatures. This makes it useful for applications that require low temperatures, such as in cryogenics and superconductivity research. It also allows for more precise control and stability of the light source.

4. What are the limitations of a light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures?

One limitation of a light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures is its high cost, as it requires specialized materials and equipment. It also requires constant maintenance and monitoring to ensure the light source stays at the desired temperature. Additionally, the low temperature can limit the types of materials and components that can be used in the light source.

5. What are some potential applications of a light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures?

A light source at liquid nitrogen temperatures has a wide range of potential applications, including in research labs for studying materials and biological samples at low temperatures, in medical imaging and therapy, and in industrial processes that require extreme cold temperatures. It can also be used in space exploration and satellite communication, where low temperatures are necessary for certain components to function properly.