Light: same frequency=different wavelength?

In summary: They define it in terms of how far light can travel in vacuum. In summary, scientists can measure the speed of light more accurately when it moves through a liquid medium, than when it moves through air.
LLT71
can someone explain why light waves have the same frequency when they pass through different mediums, and at a same time they have different wavelenghts? if frequency=speed of light (which is constant I assume) /wavelength, how could it be? does the speed of light somehow changes when light passes different mediums to get the same result or?
thanks!

Likes trytodoit
Science news on Phys.org
LLT71 said:
does the speed of light somehow changes when light passes different mediums
Yes. It is usually referred to as the Refractive index (click for wikipedia page)

Likes LLT71
jerromyjon said:
Yes. It is usually referred to as the Refractive index (click for wikipedia page)
thank you!

Likes jerromyjon
Yes. To share something
told by my physics teacher, scientists can determine the speed of light relatively "easier" when it moves through a liquid medium like water compared to when it moves through air. (I think its refractive index is close to vacuum? Correct me if I'm wrong)

lonelypancreas said:
Yes. To share something
told by my physics teacher, scientists can determine the speed of light relatively "easier" when it moves through a liquid medium like water compared to when it moves through air. (I think its refractive index is close to vacuum? Correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm not sure what was meant by the term "easier" - possibly it referred to the possible accuracy.
To measure speed, you need to know (in one form or another) a distance and a time. The ratio of speeds in air (space) and water (or many other transparent substances) is only a factor of about 1.5. Your teacher may be implying that the error in measuring the time taken to traverse a given distance would be the same in absolute terms, so the percentage error over a longer time could be less. It's a matter of opinion whether that would be the main source of error.
Personally, I think it would be 'easier' to do an experiment in air than one involving water (slightly messier to deal with). It's also arguable that any dispersion in the medium could also introduce errors in measuring the edges of pulses.

On the assumption that "easier" means more accurate, our ability to measure time and the speed of light in vacuum are so good that they exceed our ability to measure distance directly. In fact our standard unit of distance is defined in terms of how far light can travel in vacuum in a certain amount of time.

If it were easier to measure speed in water, they'd have defined distance in terms of how far light can travel in water. But it isn't. And they don't.

Related to Light: same frequency=different wavelength?

1. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in light?

The frequency and wavelength of light are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

2. Can light have the same frequency but different wavelengths?

Yes, light can have the same frequency but different wavelengths. This is because the speed of light is constant, so when the frequency increases, the wavelength must decrease in order to maintain the same speed. This is known as the wave-particle duality of light.

3. How does the color of light relate to its frequency and wavelength?

The color of light is determined by its frequency, which is directly related to its wavelength. For example, red light has a lower frequency and longer wavelength than blue light. This is why objects appear different colors when they reflect or absorb different frequencies of light.

4. Is there a limit to the frequency and wavelength of light?

Yes, there is a theoretical limit to the frequency and wavelength of light, known as the Planck scale. This is the smallest possible unit of length and time, and it is thought that anything smaller would not be able to be measured or observed.

5. How does the energy of light relate to its frequency and wavelength?

The energy of light is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy of the light. The relationship between energy, frequency, and wavelength is described by the equation E = hν, where h is Planck's constant.