Light Reflection and Particle Size

In summary, the detection method for particle counters is based on the principle of Mie scattering, specifically scattering light through smaller angles and larger signals to determine particle sizes. This requires information such as the number of particles and is typically used in optical methods. For a single particle, Mie scattering or its extensions are used to model the size.
JoJoQuinoa
I'm studying particle counters and one of the detection methods uses reflected light to determine the sizes of the particles. What principle does it base on?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
There are many. One usually needs some other info like number of particles for instance. Your description is a little terse to specify

@hutchphd My apologies. This is from the slide I'm reading: "large particles scatter light through smaller angles and larger signals." The topic is fairly new for me so I don't know what details to consider yet. How about a single particle?

JoJoQuinoa said:
I'm studying particle counters and one of the detection methods uses reflected light to determine the sizes of the particles. What principle does it base on?

Thanks!

Optical methods typically use Mie scattering (or extensions thereof) to model particle sizes.

https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4757-1983-3

Likes JoJoQuinoa and hutchphd

1. What is light reflection?

Light reflection is the process by which light bounces off a surface and changes direction. It is a fundamental property of light and is responsible for our ability to see objects.

2. How does particle size affect light reflection?

The size of particles in a material can affect the way it reflects light. Smaller particles tend to scatter light more, resulting in a matte or diffused reflection. Larger particles, on the other hand, tend to reflect light more directly, resulting in a shinier or more mirror-like reflection.

3. What is the relationship between particle size and color of reflected light?

The color of reflected light is determined by the wavelength of light that is being reflected. As particle size changes, the way light is scattered and reflected also changes, which can result in a change in the perceived color of the reflected light.

4. How is light reflection and particle size related to the appearance of objects?

The way light is reflected off of an object is what determines its appearance. The size and type of particles present in the object can affect how light is reflected, resulting in different levels of shine or opacity.

5. Can light reflection and particle size be manipulated for practical purposes?

Yes, light reflection and particle size can be manipulated for various practical purposes. For example, in the cosmetic industry, particle size is often controlled to achieve a desired level of shine or matte finish. In materials science, the manipulation of particle size can also affect the reflective properties of a material, making it useful for applications such as solar panels or reflective coatings.