Light propagation in air without hitting molecules ?

In summary, the amount of light transmitted without hitting any air molecules depends on the wavelength, thickness, and index of refraction of the air, and can be calculated using the Beer-Lambert law.
toan
hi,

Could anyone help me the following question?

I am reading light transmission through a slab of air (at the ambient atmosphere). My question is: How much light is transmitted without hitting any air molecules?

In details: An incident light beam propagates through a slab, of some thickness, of air. The output light at the end of the slab can be divided into two parts. The first part is the portion of the incident beam that crosses the air slab without hitting any air molecules. The second part is wavelets that is re-radiated by air molecules (due to scattering and absorption/emission). I am concerned with the first part.

Please help me any specific quantity, links to relevant documents, or hints to calculation,... that you know. Thank very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amount of light transmitted without hitting any air molecules will depend on the wavelength of the incident light beam, the thickness of the slab, and the index of refraction of the air. Generally speaking, the longer the wavelength of the light beam and the thicker the slab, the more light will be transmitted without hitting any air molecules. However, even under ideal conditions, some of the light will still be scattered by air molecules. You can use the Beer-Lambert law to calculate the amount of light that is transmitted without hitting any air molecules, as well as the amount of light that is scattered by air molecules.

Related to Light propagation in air without hitting molecules ?

1. How does light travel through air without hitting molecules?

Light travels through air in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that do not require physical contact with molecules to propagate. This allows light to travel through air without hitting molecules.

2. What happens when light does hit a molecule in air?

When light hits a molecule in air, it can either be absorbed, reflected, or scattered. This depends on the properties of the molecule and the wavelength of the light. For example, shorter wavelengths of light are more likely to be scattered by air molecules, which is why the sky appears blue.

3. Does light always travel at the same speed in air?

No, the speed of light in air is affected by the density of the air and the temperature. Generally, higher density or lower temperature will result in a slower speed of light. However, in most cases, the speed of light in air is very close to its speed in a vacuum, which is about 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. Can light travel forever in air without hitting anything?

No, light will eventually hit something in air, whether it be a molecule, a dust particle, or a surface. However, in a vacuum, light can theoretically travel forever without hitting anything since there are no particles to interact with.

5. How does the atmosphere affect light propagation in air?

The atmosphere can affect light propagation in air in several ways. The density and composition of the atmosphere can alter the speed and direction of light, as well as cause it to scatter or be absorbed. The presence of water vapor, dust, and other particles in the atmosphere can also impact the behavior of light as it travels through air.