Light, photons, reflection and percentages

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of a probability observed due to a small sample size. The person is reading a book on light and reflection and questions the probability of light passing through a glass window based on the number of photons. The response explains that a larger sample size is needed to accurately predict the probability of an event occurring.
cyberstu
Hey all, I am new to these forums. I am thinking of taking a distance learning degree in the near future from Open University in Physics, so decided to do some reading up first as it has been a while since I hav etuched physics.

Anyway I am reading a book at the minute "Quantam Theory cannot hurt you" by Marcus Chown, and it is discussing light and reflection. It is saying that if 95% percent of all light is reflected, however each photon has a 95% chance of passing thru a glass window a 5% chance of passing through. However what if only one or two light photons hit a glass window, surely if one photon hit it would be 100% refelected or passed through and if two photons hit it would be 50 50.

Thanks for any replies I get.

Science news on Phys.org
That is only an accuracy observed due to a small sample size. When we say the probability of an event is x%, it means that the event should occur around x times out of a hundred trials. Taking a small number trials cannot give us and accurate prediction. For example if you roll a die only once, you would definitely observe some number. However that doesn't mean that the probability of getting that number is 100%.
You would observe that as you gradually increase the number of photons in your case, the number reflected back would be come closer and closer to 95%.

Related to Light, photons, reflection and percentages

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons that travel in waves at the speed of light.

2. What are photons?

Photons are the smallest unit of light and they carry energy. They have no mass or charge, and they can travel at the speed of light.

3. How does reflection work?

Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, changing direction but maintaining its energy. The angle at which the light hits the surface is equal to the angle at which it reflects.

4. What is the relationship between light and percentages?

The percentage of light that is reflected or absorbed by a surface depends on its properties, such as color and texture. Light-colored and smooth surfaces tend to reflect more light, while dark and rough surfaces absorb more light.

5. How does light interact with matter?

Light can be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted when it interacts with matter. The way light behaves depends on the properties of the material it comes into contact with, such as its density, transparency, and color.