Light, Mirrors, Lenses, immediate help required

In summary, the problem involves finding the location of an image formed by a concave mirror when an object of specific height and distance is placed in front of it. The given information is used to set up equations involving the focal length and distances of the object and image. However, the focal length cannot be determined without the distance of the sun being given.
mhl2188
Hello, here is the problem i am having trouble with. The sun falls on a concave mirror and forms an image 3 cm from the mirror. If an object 24mm high is placed 12 cm from the mirror, where will its image be formed? So far, i have decided that since 1/f = 1/do + 1/di...
1/f = 1/do + 1/3 = 1/12 + 1/di
I also decided that hi/2.4 = -di/12... The problem is...even if i solve for di in terms of hi and plug that into my first equation i don't have enough information to solve for do. I am stuck and this problem is due tomorrow... please help
thanks
mhl

Physics news on Phys.org
mhl2188 said:
Hello, here is the problem i am having trouble with. The sun falls on a concave mirror and forms an image 3 cm from the mirror. If an object 24mm high is placed 12 cm from the mirror, where will its image be formed? So far, i have decided that since 1/f = 1/do + 1/di...
1/f = 1/do + 1/3 = 1/12 + 1/di
I also decided that hi/2.4 = -di/12... The problem is...even if i solve for di in terms of hi and plug that into my first equation i don't have enough information to solve for do. I am stuck and this problem is due tomorrow... please help
thanks
mhl

You need to use the "sun" information to find the focal length of the mirror. The sun is an object at distance ___________ that forms an image at 3cm. What is f?

Hello mhl,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. It seems like you have made some progress in understanding the problem and utilizing the lens/mirror equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. However, you are correct in realizing that you do not have enough information to solve for do.

To solve this problem, we need to use the magnification equation, m = -di/do = hi/ho. This equation relates the height of the image (hi) to the height of the object (ho) and the distances of the image (di) and object (do) from the mirror or lens.

Since we know the height of the object (24mm) and the height of the image (3cm = 30mm), we can set up the equation as follows:

m = -di/do = hi/ho
m = -30/do = 30/24
m = -5/4

Now, we can use this value of m to solve for do:

m = -di/do
-5/4 = -30/do
do = 24 cm

Therefore, the object must be placed 24 cm away from the concave mirror in order to form an image 3 cm away from the mirror. I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment!

Related to Light, Mirrors, Lenses, immediate help required

1. What is light and how does it travel?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye, ranging in wavelengths from 380-700 nanometers. It travels in straight lines at a constant speed of approximately 186,282 miles per second in a vacuum.

2. How do mirrors reflect light?

Mirrors are smooth, polished surfaces that reflect light by the law of reflection. This law states that the angle of incidence (incoming angle of light) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing angle of light), with both angles being measured from the normal (a line perpendicular to the surface of the mirror).

3. What are the different types of lenses and how do they work?

There are two main types of lenses: convex and concave. Convex lenses, also known as converging lenses, are thicker in the center and thinner at the edges. They bend incoming light rays towards a central point, creating a real, inverted image. Concave lenses, also known as diverging lenses, are thinner in the center and thicker at the edges. They bend incoming light rays away from a central point, creating a virtual, upright image.

4. How are mirrors and lenses used in everyday life?

Mirrors are commonly used in reflective surfaces such as bathroom mirrors, car mirrors, and decorative mirrors. They are also used in telescopes and microscopes to magnify images. Lenses are used in glasses and contact lenses to correct vision, as well as in cameras, projectors, and magnifying glasses.

5. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point after passing through a lens or reflecting off a mirror. It can be projected onto a screen and is always inverted compared to the object. A virtual image is formed when the light rays do not actually converge, but only appear to do so. It cannot be projected and is either upright or inverted, depending on the type of lens used.