Light is a transverse oscillitating wave (can't conceptualize)

In summary, light is an electromagnetic wave with perpendicular electric and magnetic fields. The strength of these fields oscillate as the wave propagates, similar to ocean waves and string waves. Polarization can control the direction of these oscillations. The strength of the electric field at any given point varies with time and is determined by the amplitude and polarization.
hongiddong
I know light is an electromagnetic wave that has an electric field and magnetic field that are perpendicular to each other. I was wondering how the oscillation was occurring?

1. Are the strength of the fields waning and waxing perpendicularly to the propogation of motion like in the case of ocean waves and string?

Ex. Say we polarized the light so that the oscilations remain in there xy or zy coordinates, I'm thinking at one instantaneous point, we have the electromagnetic strength on a cartesian graph at (0,10) then through time, the strength wanes and we will see the strength of the field at (10,5)

Science news on Phys.org
hongiddong said:
I
1. Are the strength of the fields waning and waxing perpendicularly to the propogation of motion like in the case of ocean waves and string?
Yes.
Say we polarized the light so that the oscillations remain in their xy or zy coordinates, I'm thinking at one instantaneous point, we have the electromagnetic strength on a cartesian graph at (0,10) then through time, the strength wanes and we will see the strength of the field at (10,5)
I'm not sure I understand your notation...
If the amplitude of the wave is ##A##, then the strength of the electric field at any given point will vary with time, ranging from ##A## to ##-A## and back again, pointing in some direction (determined by the polarization) perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Likes hongiddong
Thank you Nugatory! I see it now.

Related to Light is a transverse oscillitating wave (can't conceptualize)

1. What is a transverse oscillating wave?

A transverse oscillating wave is a type of wave that oscillates or moves in a direction perpendicular to the direction of its energy transfer. This means that the particles of the medium through which the wave travels move up and down or side to side, rather than back and forth along the direction of the wave.

2. How does light behave as a transverse oscillating wave?

Light is an electromagnetic wave, meaning it is made up of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation. This makes light a transverse oscillating wave, as the electric and magnetic fields move at right angles to the direction in which the light is traveling.

3. Can you explain the concept of oscillation in relation to light?

Oscillation refers to the back and forth motion of a wave. In the case of light, the oscillation is between the electric and magnetic fields that make up the wave. As the wave moves through space, the electric and magnetic fields oscillate at right angles to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation.

4. How does the transverse oscillating nature of light affect its properties?

The transverse oscillating nature of light allows it to have several unique properties. For example, it can polarize, meaning its electric and magnetic fields can be aligned in a specific direction. It also allows light to diffract, or bend, when passing through small openings or around obstacles.

5. Why is it important to understand that light is a transverse oscillating wave?

Understanding that light is a transverse oscillating wave is crucial for comprehending many of its properties and behaviors. It allows us to explain phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction. It is also essential in the development of technologies that utilize light, such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar panels.