Light interaction/interference

• Thread starter Retracer-ST12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, photons can interact with each other through stimulated emission, where an incident photon can stimulate an atom to emit a photon in the same state. However, in free-space, photons do not directly interact with each other to first order, but may interact through higher order processes such as turning into an electron-positron pair. The spatial wave function of a photon can also affect its interactions with other photons.
Retracer-ST12
Simply thinking about how certain things work, one thing leads to another; I wind up at fiber optics and am reminded of a question I thought of a little more than a year ago while I was taking physics (HS). It had to do with energy, however I'm more concerned with light at the moment, so I ask this:

-do/can photons interact with each other?
-does light cause distortion by itself? (does light have or is it in and of itself an electromagnetic field?)
-I was going to ask about intersecting light but when I 'looked' at the example in my head of perpendicular intersecting beams or lasers and I imagined an infinitely vast space between two photons of the first beam and that the perpendicular beam's photons would always end up between and never intersect with or 'touch' the photons of the perpendicular path). This leads to the next.
-can two or more photons be at the exact same place at the exact same time, or would they interfere with each other and separate?

If anyone is curious, the original question I mentioned that I had before was: Is there a limit to how much energy can be in one place at a time? My instructor replied no, although I'm not sure how certain they were of that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Light IS an electromagnetic field. The fields have to be arranged in a certain way (self-sustaining), but beyond that light is nothing more and no less than E&M fields. I just confused myself about whether 'photons' (the particle quanta) can 'interact'; but in general E&M waves will just superpose as they pass 'through' each-other. I.e. there will be an observable difference when they are in the same place at the same time (constructive/destructive interference), but they won't alter each-other (it might not be that simple from a photon-perspective ?).

According to classical physics there is no limit to how much energy can be in a given region--too much will collapse into a black-hole. Quantum Field Theory--I don't think--would create any limits either; but string-theory definitely would (when you get to Planck energies at the Planck scale). I'd say the best overall answer is that we don't really know, but if there is a limit, its REALLY big; but one way or the other it would always collapse to a black hole first.

Particle physics treats photons as Bosons ('force' particles) of full integer spin; this is in contrast to Fermions ('matter' particles) of half integer spins. Bosons do not follow the exclusion principle so they are allowed to 'occupy the same quantum states'; another way of saying this is that they can occupy the same space; they most certainly can 'phase-through' each other.

My QM is a little rusty, so I can't really explain interference?

Retracer-ST12 said:
To first order, no.

Retracer-ST12 said:
-does light cause distortion by itself? (does light have or is it in and of itself an electromagnetic field?)
It is an electromagnetic field, but the equations are linear so it will not cause any distortion.

Retracer-ST12 said:
-I was going to ask about intersecting light but when I 'looked' at the example in my head of perpendicular intersecting beams or lasers and I imagined an infinitely vast space between two photons of the first beam and that the perpendicular beam's photons would always end up between and never intersect with or 'touch' the photons of the perpendicular path). This leads to the next.
-can two or more photons be at the exact same place at the exact same time, or would they interfere with each other and separate?
They can be in the same state, no problem.

Retracer-ST12 said:
If anyone is curious, the original question I mentioned that I had before was: Is there a limit to how much energy can be in one place at a time? My instructor replied no, although I'm not sure how certain they were of that answer.
If you have enough energy in one place you get a black hole. Our current theories do not have a good description of the "core" of a black hole.

Retracer-ST12 said:

Not only can multiple photons be at the same place at the same time, but in certain cases they will "prefer" to be. For example, when a photon of the appropriate frequency is incident upon an excited atom of the appropriate kind, the incident photon will STIMULATE the atom to emit a photon in the same state as the incident photon. This effect, first suggested by Einstein, is the basis of LASERs ... Light Amplification through the Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Laser light is highly collimated; the photons diverge only very gradually, compared to the radiation from other sources. The fact that they diverge at all can be attributed to the Uncertainty Principle, which allows for a small spread in their momentum perpendicular to the laser light's propagation axis.

Retracer-ST12 said:

This question got me thinking. Can I pick up on the answer given by DaleSpam:

"no to first order"

I take this a reference to the Feynman diagram expansion of quantum electodynamics. This is saying that there are no tree diagrams describing the direct interaction of 2 photon states. At higher order it is possible that a photon can turn into an electron-positron pair and hence interact with other photons some how.

But is there not a more basic way in which photons interact?

My understanding is this..please correct me if I've got this wrong.

The basic Feynman diagram shows two photons moving in free-space with definite momentum. In this case then, to first order, two photon states can pass through each other without interaction (that was the point about linear equations).

But quantum mechanics is more complex than this. Depending on how a photon is generated it can have many different spatial wave functions. One notable case then is the spatial wavefunction of a photon generated by a double slit. In this case the photon wave function interferes with itself, and this interference determines the probability of where the photon will end up.

I guess the correct term for this is light self-interference rather than self-interaction.

1. What is light interference?

Light interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves overlap and interact with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. This can result in the formation of bright or dark spots, depending on the phase difference between the waves.

2. What causes light interference?

Light interference is caused by the interaction between two or more light waves that have the same frequency and travel in the same medium. When these waves overlap, they can either reinforce each other (constructive interference) or cancel each other out (destructive interference).

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves have a phase difference of 0 or a multiple of 2π, resulting in a larger amplitude. This leads to the formation of bright spots. On the other hand, destructive interference occurs when the waves have a phase difference of π or an odd multiple of π, resulting in a smaller amplitude. This leads to the formation of dark spots.

4. How is light interference used in everyday life?

Light interference is used in many everyday applications, such as anti-glare coatings on glasses and computer screens, holograms, and thin film coatings on electronic devices. It is also used in optical instruments, such as interferometers, to measure small changes in distance or wavelength.

5. Can light interference occur in all types of light?

Yes, light interference can occur in all types of light, including visible light, infrared light, and ultraviolet light. It can also occur in other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as microwaves and radio waves, as long as the waves have the same frequency and travel in the same medium.