Light intensity independant of frequency and E = hf

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between light intensity and light frequency, and how the former does not directly depend on the latter even though the energy of a photon does. It is explained that this is due to the fact that intensity is a measure of total energy per unit time, while frequency determines the energy of each individual photon. The concept is compared to other formulas in physics where a property can depend on another without directly appearing in the equation. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of understanding the behavior of light.
DoobleD
Isn't it weird that light intensity (which is time average of Poynting vector) doesn't depend of the light frequency, while the energy of a photon does ?

From E = hf it seeems that frequency would have an impact of light energy flux (even time averaged). But intensity, which is a (time averaged) measure of energy flux, doesn't depend of frequency ? What am I missing ?

I found a close debate but not really answering here.

Science news on Phys.org
Light intensity is the total amount of energy per time, regardless of the number of photons arriving. If the photons are a higher frequency, then you'd need less of them arriving per unit time to achieve the same intensity.

Jonathan Scott said:
Light intensity is the total amount of energy per time, regardless of the number of photons arriving. If the photons are a higher frequency, then you'd need less of them arriving per unit time to achieve the same intensity.

So somehow intensity is dependant of the number of photons. Doesn't this implies that intensity indirectly depends of frequency (since the energy of each photon does) ? But frequency (or number of photons) doesn't show up in <S>.

DoobleD said:
So somehow intensity is dependant of the number of photons. Doesn't this implies that intensity indirectly depends of frequency (since the energy of each photon does) ? But frequency (or number of photons) doesn't show up in <S>.
This is true of any sort of "stuff" which comes in packages. The amount of stuff is simply the number of packages times the amount in each package.

Right, but what puzzles me is that frequency doesn't show up in the formula for intensity. Yet, it seems to depend of it.

DoobleD said:
Right, but what puzzles me is that frequency doesn't show up in the formula for intensity. Yet, it seems to depend of it.
Consider two electromagnetic waves of the same amplitude but different frequency. The time-averaged Poynting vector relates to the mean square value, which is the same for both for any whole number of cycles.

Likes DoobleD
DoobleD said:

I believe this is true of many formulas in physics. A property can depend on another property without having it appear directly in one of the equations. Usually one of the variables already contains that property and it isn't shown for convenience and simplification.

Likes DoobleD
If we start with an expression for the plane wave solution for the electric field, E = Em sin(kx-ωt), and similarly for B, we end up with an expression for the average intensity that depends on Em2. So I think you are asking why the frequency doesn't appear in this result. But Em, the amplitude of the electric field is proportional to the number of photons and the energy of each photon (mixing metaphors here - wave and particles descriptions). For a given number of photons, higher frequency ones will have more energy and therefore larger values of Em. Just another way of saying what Jonathan and Drakkith have already pointed out.

Likes DoobleD
pixel said:
But Em, the amplitude of the electric field is proportional to the number of photons and the energy of each photon

Oh ok, I didn't thought to that.

Jonathan Scott said:
Consider two electromagnetic waves of the same amplitude but different frequency. The time-averaged Poynting vector relates to the mean square value, which is the same for both for any whole number of cycles.

So in this case I suppose :
- the photons of the wave with higher fequency each have a higher amount of energy (E = hf),
- but the wave with lower frequency has more photons,
- so that their respective maximum amplitudes ##E_m## (thus their intensities ##E_m^2##) are the same values.

Is this correct ?

Last edited:
DoobleD said:
Is this correct ?
Pretty much, yes.

There are some subtleties about what a photon is (almost certainly not what you're thinking) that you'll find discussed in some other threads here, but the basic arithmetic of the same amount of energy being delivered by a larger number of photons with less energy in each one is OK.

Likes DoobleD
Thank you !

Related to Light intensity independant of frequency and E = hf

1. What does it mean for light intensity to be independent of frequency?

Light intensity being independent of frequency means that the brightness or strength of light does not change with the frequency of the light waves. In other words, the intensity of light remains the same regardless of the color or wavelength of the light.

2. How does the equation E = hf relate to light intensity being independent of frequency?

The equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency, is used to calculate the energy of a single photon of light. This equation shows that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. Therefore, if the intensity of light remains constant, the energy of the photons must also remain constant.

3. Can light have a high intensity and low frequency?

Yes, light can have a high intensity and low frequency. This means that the brightness or strength of the light is high, but the frequency of the light waves is low. This can be seen in red light, which has a low frequency but can still be very bright.

4. Why is light intensity independent of frequency important?

Light intensity being independent of frequency is important because it allows us to control the brightness of light without changing its color or wavelength. This is useful in many applications, such as in photography or in the design of lighting systems.

5. Is light intensity always independent of frequency?

No, light intensity is not always independent of frequency. In some cases, the intensity of light may vary with the frequency, such as in the case of a rainbow where the intensity of each color varies. However, in most cases, light intensity is considered to be independent of frequency.