Light intensity and photosynthetic rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a report on the relation between light intensity and photosynthetic rate in biology. The results showed that as light intensity decreases, oxygen production also decreases. However, it is incorrect to say that light rays lose energy with distance. Instead, the apparent intensity decreases because the light is spreading out to cover a larger area. A more appropriate conclusion would be that light rays are more concentrated when closer to the plant. The experiment involved using a light source and changing either the power or location of the light source. Typically, light rays are more concentrated closer to the source, unless using lenses or a laser.
Propagandhi
I'm doing a report for biology about the relation betweem light intensity and photosynthetic rate. My results showed that as light intensity decreases, so does oxygen production.

I said in my discussion that light rays that must travel longer distances will lose energy and appear dimmer than rays that travel shorter distances.

Is this correct?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm afraid not.

Light rays don't lose energy with distance. The apparent intensity of a light source does decrease with distance, but that's because the light is spreading out to cover a larger area.

So a more appropriate conclusion would be that the rays are more concentrated when they are closer to the plant?

Can you describe the experiment a little more. What type of light source did you use? What did you actually change ... the power of the light source, or the location of the light source?

Propagandhi said:
So a more appropriate conclusion would be that the rays are more concentrated when they are closer to the plant?

Typically, light rays are more concentrated closer to the source of the light. Move the plant away from the source, and the light becomes less concentrated (i.e. dimmer) at the plant.

This assumes you're not using lenses to focus the light, or a laser where the light intensity is fairly constant over a large distance.

Related to Light intensity and photosynthetic rate

What is light intensity?

Light intensity refers to the amount of light energy per unit area that reaches a certain surface, such as a plant leaf. It is measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²).

How does light intensity affect photosynthetic rate?

Light intensity is a major factor that affects photosynthetic rate. As light intensity increases, the rate of photosynthesis also increases, up to a certain point. This is because light energy is needed for the process of photosynthesis to occur.

What is the relationship between light intensity and photosynthetic rate?

The relationship between light intensity and photosynthetic rate is known as the light response curve. This curve shows that as light intensity increases, the rate of photosynthesis also increases, but at a certain point, the rate levels off and does not increase any further.

How does the type of light affect photosynthetic rate?

The type of light, specifically its wavelength, also affects photosynthetic rate. Plants absorb different wavelengths of light, such as red and blue, more efficiently than others. This is why plants appear green, as they reflect green light instead of absorbing it for photosynthesis.

What happens to photosynthetic rate when light intensity is too low or too high?

If light intensity is too low, the rate of photosynthesis will decrease, as there is not enough light energy for the process to occur. If light intensity is too high, the rate may initially increase but then level off or even decrease as the excess light can damage the plant's photosynthetic machinery.