• Tags
    Light
  • Featured
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
If I start with a mix of half H2O and half D2O, when it equilibrates it will be half HDO, a quarter H2O and a quarter D2O. My question is "how long does this take?". Ballpark is fine - microsecodnds? Days? Centuries?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
If I start with a mix of half H2O and half D2O, when it equilibrates it will be half HDO, a quarter H2O and a quarter D2O. My question is "how long does this take?". Ballpark is fine - microsecodnds? Days? Centuries?
What temperature/phase(solid, liquid, vapor)? Liquid kinetics are O(m) different from solid/vapor.

Liquid water, room temperature. Maybe a little cooler.

Likes Vanadium 50
Mixing limited, technically this is not much different from acid/base reactions and these are quite fast, in nanosecond range if memory serves me well.

Likes Vanadium 50, Frabjous and Bystander
Thanks. I guess I could think of it as an acid-base reaction, between some very week acids and bases. I don't know the pH of D2O, but imagine it's around 7.3.

Calculating from 1st principles looks like a nightmare, since you have a 6-way equilibrium between H2O, HDO, D2O, H+, D+, OH-, and OD-. (Plus the complication of whether H+ is really H3O+) But "a tint fraction oif a second" is a good enough answer for me.

I am not sure what that link is meant to say. It's just there.

It dies not mention a time, which is my original question. It does say, indirectly, that water (H2O) has a pH of 7. which is not news. (D2O I looked up and it is 7.4, I estimated 7.3)

I think @Borek answered my question. "As fast as they physically can mix"

1696750889339.png

Handwavy, but more detailed answer. If you put several water molecules side by side, they will get linked by hydrogen bonds. Resulting four membered ring is highly symmetrical (even if not flat) and the bonds will start oscillating, resulting in a very quick exchange of H and D between water molecules. In the presence of H+ from water autodissociation this is made even easier, as H+ will attach itself to one of the lone electron pairs of a molecule (red outlined part). Charge will delocalize to all hydrogens three hydrogens (as in H3O+), which makes them even more eager to bond to neighbor water molecules, which further speeds up bond oscillations, to the point where charge easily jumps between water molecules, rearranging which hydrogen is attached to each oxygen on the way. That's actually why limiting ion conductivity of H+ is anomalously high, several times higher than that of any other ion - H+ doesn't have to travel by itself, it is charge that jumps (not the case of, say, Na+, which has to meticulously navigate between water molecules).

This explanation is far from being strict, but gives good intuition, and shows why individual water molecules in liquid water are not as "separate" as molecules in other liquids.

Likes hutchphd, 256bits, DeBangis21 and 1 other person

1. What is light water, heavy water, and semiheavy water?

Light water is ordinary water composed mostly of hydrogen-1 (protium) and oxygen, and it's denoted as H2O. Heavy water, or deuterium oxide (D2O), is water in which both hydrogen atoms are replaced with deuterium, a heavier isotope of hydrogen. Semiheavy water, or HDO, contains one atom of deuterium and one atom of protium along with an oxygen atom.

2. How does the equilibrium between light, heavy, and semiheavy water occur?

Equilibrium between light, heavy, and semiheavy water occurs naturally through processes like evaporation, condensation, and mixing. At a molecular level, hydrogen atoms can exchange between different water molecules during chemical reactions, leading to a dynamic equilibrium among H2O, D2O, and HDO in a given sample of water.

3. Why is the study of these water types important?

Studying different types of water is crucial for various scientific and industrial applications. Heavy water, for example, is used as a neutron moderator in nuclear reactors. Understanding the properties and behaviors of these water types enhances our ability to use them effectively in fields like nuclear physics, environmental science, and isotopic tracing in biochemical research.

4. How does the presence of heavy and semiheavy water affect physical properties of water?

The presence of heavy and semiheavy water alters the physical properties of water, such as boiling point, melting point, and density. Heavy water has a slightly higher boiling point and melting point than light water. These differences affect the behavior of water under various conditions and can be crucial in scientific experiments and industrial processes.

5. How can we separate heavy water from a mixture of different water types?

Heavy water can be separated from a mixture using methods such as fractional distillation, which exploits the slight differences in boiling points between H2O and D2O. Another method is electrolysis, where differences in the bond energies lead to a preferential release of H2O over D2O. These methods can be used to increase the concentration of heavy water for specific uses.