Light fluctuations and finding exoplanets

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using auto correlation of natural light fluctuations from a star to detect exoplanets. However, due to the large size of stars and the difficulty in removing noise, it is unlikely that this method would be successful without a very large telescope.
Paul Colby
Insights Author
Gold Member
All light sources fluctuate and I've wondered if auto correlation of the natural fluctuation of a star's output might be used to range it's planets? The concept is to stare at a star (like Kepler does) and record high frequency intensity fluctuations say at a sample rate of 10 times per second. Fluctuations at this rate which are not due to intervening dust would have to arise from very small features on the photosphere of the star. An exoplanet in the correct phase would be illuminated by some of the same star light and would reflect light with the same time fluctuations. One then computes the time auto correlation function. In principle there would be a peak in correlation at a time delay equal to the path difference (8ish minutes for an Earth like planet) with a correlation magnitude proportional to the phase and albedo of the planet.

Okay, the off the cuff answer is "what are you on crack?" stars are really really big. Everything averages to zero in that frequency band so no, can't work.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd expect any such signal to be buried deep in the noise of the starlight, so you'd need a HUGE telescope to get a SNR high enough to see any correlation.

Drakkith said:
I'd expect any such signal to be buried deep in the noise of the starlight, so you'd need a HUGE telescope to get a SNR high enough to see any correlation.
Yes, I expect this is the case for most stars like the sun for example. The photon counting noise is easy to estimate but the spectrum of fluctuations of a star much less so. Not all stars are the same. What Kepler light curves I've seen don't seem dominated by photon statistics but this is just a guess on my part.

Paul Colby said:
Yes, I expect this is the case for most stars like the sun for example. The photon counting noise is easy to estimate but the spectrum of fluctuations of a star much less so. Not all stars are the same. What Kepler light curves I've seen don't seem dominated by photon statistics but this is just a guess on my part.

That's the thing about noise. You can estimate it all you want. But you cannot remove it. Hence the need for large telescopes to get that SNR high enough to see those small fluctuations!

Related to Light fluctuations and finding exoplanets

1. What are light fluctuations?

Light fluctuations refer to the variations in the amount of light emitted or reflected by a celestial body. These fluctuations can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the rotation of the object, the presence of clouds or atmospheric conditions, and the presence of orbiting bodies.

2. How do light fluctuations help scientists find exoplanets?

Light fluctuations can indicate the presence of an exoplanet orbiting a star. As the planet passes in front of the star, it blocks a small portion of the star's light, causing a dip in the overall brightness. This is known as the transit method and is one of the most common techniques used to detect exoplanets.

3. What other methods are used to find exoplanets?

In addition to the transit method, scientists also use the radial velocity method, which measures the slight wobble of a star caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet. Other methods include direct imaging, which captures the actual image of the exoplanet, and gravitational microlensing, which uses the bending of light to detect planets.

4. How do scientists distinguish between light fluctuations caused by exoplanets and other factors?

Scientists use advanced data analysis techniques to carefully study and filter out any potential sources of light fluctuations that are not caused by exoplanets. This can include correcting for the effects of the Earth's atmosphere, removing noise from the data, and comparing multiple observations to confirm the presence of an exoplanet.

5. What can we learn from studying light fluctuations of exoplanets?

Studying light fluctuations of exoplanets can provide valuable information about the size, mass, and composition of these distant worlds. By analyzing the patterns of light fluctuations, scientists can also infer the presence of an atmosphere and potentially even detect signs of life on these exoplanets.