Light as a particle/ compton effect, conservation of energy and momentum

In summary, when a photon with an initial energy of 33eV collides with an electron and the electron's speed after the collision is 4.56*10^5m/s, the final energy of the photon is 32.4eV. Additionally, the photons in a monochromatic beam of light have a momentum of 1.50*10^-28 kgm/s and a period of 1.47*10^-14s. When an x-ray photon with a wavelength of 0.010nm strikes a helium nucleus and bounces back, the helium nucleus gains a velocity of 2*10^4m/s. Finally, when a photon moving in an easterly direction with an energy of
skg94

Homework Statement

1. A photon with an initial energy of 33eV collides with an electron. If the speed of the electron after the collision is 4.56*10^5m/s the final energy of the photon is? [32.4eV]

2. Photons that compose a monochromatic beam of light each have a momentum of 1.50*10^-28 kgm/s. The period of this light [1.47*10^-14s]

3. an xray photon of wavelength .010nm strikes a helium nucleus (alpha particle) and bounces straight back. If the helium nucleus was originally at rest, calculate its velocity after interacting with the x-ray [2*104m/s]

4. A photon moving in an easterly direction with an energy of 6.21 *10^-15 J collides with an electron and scatters at an angle of 30 W of S. What is the velocity of the electron after the collision? [3.74 *10^7m/s [28 N of E]]

5. Calculate the frequency of an electron that has a speed of 9.2*10^5m/s [1.16*10^15hz]

Homework Equations

e=hf
E=1/2mv^2
conservation of momentum/energy
p=mv or h/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

1.Energy of photon before = energy of electron after + energy of photon after.
energy of photon after = energy of photon before - energy of electron after

Ea = 33eV - (1/2 (9.11*10^-31) (4.56*10^5)^2)

i get 33eV seeing as how the energy of the electron is 9.47*10^-20 very small i can see why, what did i do wrong? this is my attempt maybe i did the whole thing wrong?2. I have no idea how to relate momentum of a photon (p=h/lambda) to time, no velocity some help here?

3. Is this conservation of energy? I tried hf=1/2mv^2 , but it didnt make sense and didnt work when you solve for v.

4. Am i not missing something in this question for conservation of energy i believe i don't have enough information, or at least i can't get it.

5. lambda = h/mv
lambda =(6.63*10^-34)/(9.11*10^-31)(9.2*10^5) =7.910 *10^-10 m

f = c/lambda = 3.79*10^17

i don't where else to get frequncy.. can't use Ek=hf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
solved 1 and 2.

Related to Light as a particle/ compton effect, conservation of energy and momentum

1. What is the Compton effect?

The Compton effect, also known as Compton scattering, is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with an electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron and causing it to scatter. This effect provides evidence for the particle-like nature of light.

2. How does the Compton effect support the concept of light as a particle?

The Compton effect demonstrates that light can transfer energy and momentum to other particles, which is a characteristic of particles. This supports the idea that light can behave like a particle in certain situations, in addition to its wave-like properties.

3. What is the conservation of energy in relation to the Compton effect?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed. In the Compton effect, the total energy before and after the collision (of the photon and electron) remains the same, demonstrating the conservation of energy.

4. How does the Compton effect demonstrate the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. In the Compton effect, the total momentum of the photon and electron before and after the collision remains the same, showing the conservation of momentum.

5. What practical applications does the Compton effect have?

The Compton effect has various applications in fields such as medical imaging and radiation therapy, where it is used to measure the energy and direction of scattered photons. It is also used in X-ray crystallography, which is used to determine the structure of molecules.