Light Absorption and Transmission

In summary, the paper will heat up if it absorbs the light, regardless of the color of the light. For a theoretical liquid with a single absorption peak at a specific wavelength, only light with that wavelength would cause it to heat up, while all other light would pass through without interacting with it. However, there are no real materials that can achieve this and all materials absorb at least some small part of all wavelengths. Additionally, even when a material does not absorb a certain wavelength of light, it still interacts with it by slowing it down and reflecting it. This interaction does not consume energy.
mangoplant
Hello all, I had a question out of curiosity. Say you have a green piece of paper. This paper is green because it absorbs the wavelength of lights corresponding to the other colors of the visible spectrum and reflects (transmits) green light, thus appearing green. If one were to shine a laser that is also green (the same green as the paper), would the paper heat up or would nothing happen? I would imagine it would heat up if it were a laser that was not green as the paper would absorb the light, but what if the laser is green?

Science news on Phys.org
If the paper absorbs the light, it will heat up.

Your specification would lead you to believe that the "green paper" is a perfect reflector; it is not. All you really know is that it absorbs the other visible light; it will also absorb a portion of the green light.

You would need to conduct tests of the absorption and reflection intensities in order to know how much of the green light is actually absorbed.

For any "real paper" a great deal of the light is absorbed. The shinier the paper, the greater more likely that it is reflecting more strongly, and absorbing less.

Ah I see. So say there were some theoretical liquid that had a single absorption peak at some random wavelength, say 300 nm. If I understand you correctly, only light with 300 nm wavelength would cause this theoretical liquid to heat up? All other light that is not 300 nm wavelength would pass through the liquid without interacting with it?

Yes, if the liquid absorbed ONLY radiation with a wavelength of 300 nm then all other would pass through or be reflected. Only the 300 nm light would heat it up. But there are no real materials that can achieve this. All real materials absorb at least some small part of all wavelengths.

mangoplant said:
Ah I see. So say there were some theoretical liquid that had a single absorption peak at some random wavelength, say 300 nm. If I understand you correctly, only light with 300 nm wavelength would cause this theoretical liquid to heat up? All other light that is not 300 nm wavelength would pass through the liquid without interacting with it?

I would not say that the material does not interact with light with wavelength it does not absorb. The speed of light is slower in the material than in vacuum. The material slows it down by interacting with it. The material also reflects some of the incident light and changes its direction of propagation. Only this interaction does not consume energy, similarly to elastic collision.

ehild

Related to Light Absorption and Transmission

What is light absorption?

Light absorption is the process where light energy is absorbed by a material, causing it to heat up or undergo a chemical reaction. This absorption occurs when the energy of the light matches the energy levels of the atoms or molecules in the material.

How does light absorption affect color?

Light absorption is responsible for the colors we see in objects. When light hits an object, certain wavelengths are absorbed while others are reflected. The wavelengths that are reflected determine the color of the object. For example, a red object appears red because it absorbs all other colors except for red, which is reflected.

What factors influence light absorption?

The factors that influence light absorption include the type of material, the thickness of the material, and the color of the material. Different materials have different energy levels, and therefore absorb different wavelengths of light. Thicker materials absorb more light than thinner ones, and darker colors absorb more light than lighter colors.

What is light transmission?

Light transmission is the process where light passes through a material without being absorbed or reflected. This occurs when the energy of the light does not match the energy levels of the atoms or molecules in the material, so the light is able to pass through without being absorbed or causing a reaction.

How does light transmission affect visibility?

Light transmission plays a crucial role in visibility, as it allows light to pass through materials such as air, water, and glass. Without light transmission, we would not be able to see through these materials and our vision would be limited. Additionally, the amount of light transmission can affect the brightness and clarity of what we see.