Lifting a crate magnitude of forces.

In summary: . well not the first one because the force of the woman pulling up plus the floor pushing up can't be greater than the weight or she could lift it.
physicsgurl12

Homework Statement

a woman is straining to lift a large crate with no sucess. its too heavy. we denote the forces on the crate as follows: P is the upward force on the crate by the person. C is the contact force on the crate by the floor and w is the weight. how are the magnitudes related while the person is unsucessfully trying to lift the crate.
P+C>W
P=C
P+C=W

Homework Equations

none??

The Attempt at a Solution

im guessing its not the second one because weight isn't even in that equation

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement appears to be garbled.

What is the problem supposed to say?

i fixed it.

physicsgurl12 said:

Homework Statement

a woman is straining to lift a large crate with no success. its too heavy. we denote the forces on the crate as follows: P is the upward force on the crate by the person. C is the contact force on the crate by the floor and w is the weight. how are the magnitudes related while the person is unsuccessfully trying to lift the crate.
P+C>W
P=C
P+C=W

Homework Equations

none??

The Attempt at a Solution

im guessing its not the second one because weight isn't even in that equation

I'm guessing that to be successful in your physics course you will need to do more than guess.

Why or why not: P+C>W ?

Why or why not: P=C ?

Why or why not: P+C=W ?

haha. well not the first one because the force of the woman pulling up plus the floor pushing up can't be greater than the weight or she could lift it.
not the second one because the forces go in the same direction

Actually it could be that P = C.

Why or why not: P+C=W ?

um i guess if P+C=W the crate would be still. Because the forces equal the weight? so it could be this one

physicsgurl12 said:
um i guess if P+C=W the crate would be still. Because the forces equal the weight? so it could be this one
It could be this one, but likely it's like the first one, but with the > flipped to < .

its not. that's what i had the first time and it was wrong. You can't flip it.

I can. Probably you can't.

haha

Related to Lifting a crate magnitude of forces.

1. What is meant by "lifting a crate magnitude of forces?"

Lifting a crate magnitude of forces refers to the amount of force required to lift a crate off the ground. This can be calculated by considering the weight of the crate and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How do I determine the weight of the crate?

The weight of the crate can be determined by using a scale or by consulting the manufacturer's specifications. It is important to accurately measure the weight, as it directly affects the magnitude of force required to lift the crate.

3. Can I lift a crate using only one type of force?

No, lifting a crate requires the application of multiple forces. These may include the force of your muscles, the force of gravity, and the force of friction between your hands and the crate.

4. What are some safety precautions I should take when lifting a crate?

It is important to use proper lifting techniques, such as bending your knees and keeping your back straight, to avoid injury. Additionally, it is recommended to have at least two people lifting a heavy crate to distribute the weight evenly and reduce strain on one person.

5. How can I reduce the magnitude of forces required to lift a crate?

The magnitude of forces required to lift a crate can be reduced by using tools such as a dolly or a forklift. These tools can help distribute the weight and make lifting easier. Additionally, breaking the crate into smaller, lighter pieces can also reduce the magnitude of forces required.