Lifetime Of Class II Protostar

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of estimating the lifetime of class II protostars as well as the lifetime of class 0 and class I protostars based on their abundance. The last question asks for the method used to estimate the lifetime of a class II star, and the individual is seeking help in finding the answer. The answer may involve observing the amount of gas and dust around class II protostars, the size of the disc, and the time it takes for the disc to dissipate.
leonmate

Homework Statement

I've been working through coursework set from a module called Sun & Stars.
Basically the concept I understand is that there is a theoretical way of estimating the lifetime of a class II protostar as 2x10^6 years. Using this we can estimate the lifetime of class 0 and class I protostars based on their abundance in comparison to class II (if there are 4x as many class II than class I we assume that class II lifetime is 4x longer also).

Just come across the last question which asks:

How is the lifetime of a class II star estimated?

I've been scouring through my notes and the internet but can't seem to find the theory/derivation/whatever it is they used to figure this out!

I can add that a class II protostar is when the nebula/gas cloud collapses into a protostar with a massive optically thick disc which is correlated with the Classical T Tauri phase

Any help/pointers would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations N/A The Attempt at a Solution I'm not sure what the answer is but I think it has something to do with the amount of gas and dust which can be observed around class II protostars, the disc size and the amount of time it takes for the disc to dissipate.

1. What is a Class II protostar?

A Class II protostar is a very young star that is still in the process of forming. It is characterized by a disk of gas and dust surrounding it, which is the leftover material from the star's formation.

2. How long does the protostar stage last?

The protostar stage typically lasts for about 1 million years. However, this can vary depending on the mass and size of the protostar.

3. What happens during the protostar stage?

During the protostar stage, the star is still growing and accumulating mass through the accretion of gas and dust from its surrounding disk. It also experiences intense heating and compression, leading to the eventual ignition of nuclear fusion at its core.

4. What is the significance of studying Class II protostars?

Studying Class II protostars allows us to better understand the process of star formation and the conditions of early stellar environments. It also provides insight into the formation of planetary systems, as the protoplanetary disk around the protostar is where planets are born.

5. How do scientists observe Class II protostars?

Scientists use various instruments and techniques, such as infrared and radio telescopes, to observe Class II protostars. These wavelengths allow us to see through the dense dust and gas surrounding the protostar and get a better understanding of its structure and characteristics.