When first contact is made

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, government officials have not gone on record claiming that UFOs are real, let alone a threat. Yet with little public fanfare, they have begun preparing for the single most important event in human history: first contact. That is, the moment earthlings discover incontrovertible proof that they are not alone.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No governmental official has gone on record claiming that UFOs are real, let alone a threat. Yet with little public fanfare, they have begun preparing for the single most important event in human history: first contact. That is, the moment earthlings discover incontrovertible proof that they are not alone.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/2004/2/when_ufos_arrive/index.phtml

Physics news on Phys.org
Well now wouldn't that be funny. Alien lands tommorow, our government locks him and gives him the anal probe for a change.

Then on saturday, the rest of his people show up and wipe out humanity.

Surely we will act with more sense then to actually attempt to detain a being that has the capabilities of interstellar travel. Don't we?

Does anyone here contribute computing power to the SETI@home project?

Originally posted by recon
I do. http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=russ_watters@lycos.com&cmd=user_stats_new [Broken] are my stats. I had a different account when I was in college but couldn't figure out how to change it when I stopped using that email account.

Ivan, did you notice the usage of the term "UFO"? ET origin is assumed. Yes, I know its incorrect usage, but as I pointed out before, its very common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by russ_watters
I do. http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=russ_watters@lycos.com&cmd=user_stats_new [Broken] are my stats. I had a different account when I was in college but couldn't figure out how to change it when I stopped using that email account.

Ivan, did you notice the usage of the term "UFO"? ET origin is assumed. Yes, I know its incorrect usage, but as I pointed out before, its very common.

Tsunami and I are long time SETI nodes.

As for the unavoidable association between UFOs and ET, you will get no argument from me. Beyond any doubt "UFO" means many different things.

by russ_watters
I looked at the stats and some of the other links but couldn't really understand how it was suppose to work. Is it that you are processing data? If so, is it "real time" or from earlier runs?

regards

Originally posted by dlgoff
I looked at the stats and some of the other links but couldn't really understand how it was suppose to work. Is it that you are processing data? If so, is it "real time" or from earlier runs?

Processing data from earlier runs. The SETI program gathers tons of data (from millions or billions of sky "channels") every day that would take huge amounts of computing time to process. Rather than do it themselves (expensive, time consuming), they distribute small packets of info to volunteers (millions of them, by the looks of it) to take advantage of shared computing. Consider how much processing power your computer has that goes unused like when you leave the room for a minute or when it's waiting to send that long email you've been typing. Now consider how many people have computers that sit inactive like that. The processing program takes advantage of all that down time to sift through the data packets. Then you upload the results and download a new packet to check out. SETI then sifts through the results and can focus their attention on any interesting ones (most data are background noise, etc.). They still have the original data so they can double check results (no hacking the program to cheat).

The overall stats from SETI's main page are truly remarkable. http://www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/totals.html [Broken]

4.9 million users.
1.8 million years of cpu time.
1042 years of cpu time in the past day.
Is it that you are processing data? If so, is it "real time" or from earlier runs?
http://www.setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/screensaver/index.html [Broken] One of the cool things about the screensaver (note: it cuts the computational effeciency by like 75%) is that it lists where and when and what the signal is that you are analyzing. I'm currently crunching data from Arecibo (the big dish in Mexico from Contact and James Bond), the data was recorded on 11/10/03, freq 1.4211 ghz, and it gives the coordinates of the piece of sky it came from.

Thanks Phobos and russ_watters. That's neet.

Regards

How many government officials have lost their jobs for stepping forward?
Why didn’t anybody else catch this bold face lie by Popular Mechanics?

1. What is "first contact"?

"First contact" refers to the hypothetical event of humans encountering intelligent extraterrestrial life for the first time. It has been a topic of interest and speculation in both science and popular culture.

2. How likely is it that "first contact" will happen?

The likelihood of "first contact" is currently unknown. Some scientists believe that there is a high probability of intelligent life existing in the vast universe, while others argue that the chances are very slim due to the vast distances between planets and the difficulty of detecting intelligent life from Earth.

3. Will "first contact" be a peaceful encounter?

There is no way to predict the outcome of "first contact" with certainty. However, many scientists and experts believe that if and when it does happen, it is likely to be a peaceful encounter as any advanced civilization capable of interstellar travel would likely have overcome aggression and conflict.

4. How will "first contact" impact humanity?

If "first contact" does occur, it will have a profound impact on humanity. It could lead to a paradigm shift in our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have significant social, cultural, and technological implications as we learn from and possibly collaborate with an advanced alien civilization.

5. Is there a plan in place for "first contact"?

There is currently no official plan or protocol in place for "first contact". However, many organizations and individuals have proposed ideas and guidelines for how to handle such an event, including the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute and the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA).