Lie groups and angular momentum

In summary, the rotational invariance of space is expressed in quantum mechanics through the angular momentum operators (Lx, Ly, Lz), which behave like the generators of the symmetry groups SO(3) and SU(2). This is because there exists a unitary representation of the symmetry groups in the Hilbert space of a physical system, and the operators Lx, Ly, and Lz correspond to infinitesimal rotations. Their commutators are the same as the Lie brackets in the Lie algebra of rotations, deriving their properties from the non-commutativity of rotations in 3D space. This connection between symmetry groups and angular momentum is important in understanding the behavior of physical systems, particularly in spherically symmetric potentials.
sineontheline
As i understand it, the commutation rules for the quantum angular momentum operator in x, y, and z (e.g. Lz = x dy - ydx and all cyclic permutations) are the same as the lie algebras for O3 and SU2. I'm not entirely clear on what the implications of this are. So I can think of Lz as generating physical rotations of the wavefunction? Why is that important? I suspect, if we're working in a spherically symmetric potential, that this has something to do with eigenvalues and ladder functions. But the connections are very murky to me still. Can anyone explain? Or point me to some notes that get to the punchlines really fast? I don't care about proofs so much.

This is all super confusing cause I'm teaching myself all this. I have a *basic* understanding of group theory (level: Artin) and of QM (level: high Griffiths/low Shankar).

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately this stuff isn't easy. This post might help you get started.

Edit: I agree with Meopemuk's recommendations in the post below this one. I learned most of this stuff from Weinberg (chapter 2).

Last edited:
In my opinion, Ballentine's textbook has the best explanation of the role of symmetry groups, generators, commutators, etc in quantum mechanics. Unfortunately, this textbook covers only the Galilei group and non-relativistic QM.

For the relativistic case, I would recommend reading first few chapters in S. Weinberg "The quantum theory of fields" vol. 1 and consult the cited journal articles for more details and explanations.

Eugene.

Fredrik said:
Unfortunately this stuff isn't easy. This post might help you get started.

"The idea that space is rotationally invariant is incorporated into QM as the assumption that there's a group homomorphism from SO(3) into the group of symmetries."

This was the idea I was looking for.

You go on to say that the representation of SO(3) isn't quite there though.

So would it be right to say:

"The idea that space is rotationally invariant is incorporated into QM as the assumption that there's a lie algebra homomorphism from lie group representation of SO(3) into the lie group representation of symmetries."

That sounds a bit awkward, and I don't know exactly what you mean by the "lie group representation of" (some group G). Does it mean "representation of the Lie group G"?

If you want to focus on the Lie algebra instead of the Lie group, the best way to do it is probably to use the C*-algebra approach to QM. It starts with the assumption that operationally defined "observables" can be represented mathematically by a C*-algebra with an identity element. This is an alternative to the more common Hilbert space approach, which starts with the assumption that operationally defined "states" can be represented mathematically by the unit rays of a complex separable Hilbert space.

I don't know much about that approach, so chances are pretty good that I won't be able to answer questions you might have about it. This book looks like a good place to learn about it. I hope I will have had time to get through it before 2010 is over.

Ha, okay.

Basically what I'm thinking:

The angular momentum operator (Lx, Ly, Lz) behave like the generators of SO(3) and SU(2) in that the lie algebras of SO(3) and SU(2) act like Lx, Ly, and Lz. And so because they're all homomorphic, rotation invariance of space expresses itself in QM through Lz, Ly, and Lz.

Is that right?

I probably jumbled up the technical terms in the previous post.

sineontheline said:
Basically what I'm thinking:

The angular momentum operator (Lx, Ly, Lz) behave like the generators of SO(3) and SU(2) in that the lie algebras of SO(3) and SU(2) act like Lx, Ly, and Lz. And so because they're all homomorphic, rotation invariance of space expresses itself in QM through Lz, Ly, and Lz.

Is that right?

Yes, you are basically right. The logic is as follows:

Consider a physical system (e.g., an atom). Possible (pure) states of this system are realized as unit vectors in a Hilbert space H. Different observables that can be measured on this system are realized as Hermitian operators in H. The correspondence observable -> Hermitian operator depends on who is the observer. Different (inertial) observers assign different operators to the same observable. For example, two observers rotated wrt each other disagree about the direction of the x-axis. (An alternative, but equivalent, point of view is that all observers use the same operators to describe observables, but they use different state vectors)

We know that different inertial observers are connected by (inertial) transformations that form a group (Galilei group in the non-relativistic physics; Poincare group in the relativistic physics). Infinitesimal transformations of this group form the Lie algebra (Galilei or Poincare). To each (inertial) transformation of observers there should correspond a transformation of Hermitian operators of observables in the Hilbert space (or, equivalently, a transformation of state vectors). In other words, there should exist a representation of the symmetry group (Galilei or Poincare) in the Hilbert space of the system. Then, a couple of theorems (most notably by Wigner and Bargmann) tell us that this representation must be unitary. (To be more precise, this should be a representation of the "universal covering" group). As a consequence, infinitesimal inertial transformations must be represented by Hermitian operators (also called generators). Then we obtain a Hermitian representation of the (Galilei or Poincare) Lie algebra in the Hilbert space of the system. Operators Lx, Ly, Lz are Hermitian representatives of infinitesimal rotations. Commutators of these operators are the same (times a factor) as Lie brackets in the Lie algebra of rotations. This is how angular momentum operators and their properties (e.g., commutators) can be derived from the rotational invariance and from the non-commutativity of rotations in the 3D space.

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
Then, a couple of theorems (most notably by Wigner and Bargmann) tell us that this representation must be unitary. (To be more precise, this should be a representation of the "universal covering" group). As a consequence, infinitesimal inertial transformations must be represented by Hermitian operators (also called generators).

Why does unitarity of the representation of Lorentz/Gallile Group in Hilbert space imply that infinitesimal Lorentz/Gallile Transformations in space are generated by the Hilbert space's hermitian operators?

I mean I know I've seen that exp(i*a*Lz) {'a' is parameter) generates the rotations. But why does this construction follow from unitarity? I actually looked this up in Weinberg in the last hour. And he's got U's and I saw Wigner's name in chapter two -- so I know I was looking at the answer. But, alas, Weinberg was too complicated.

What he meant is that if U=exp(iaX) is unitary for all real numbers a, then X must be hermitian:

[tex]I=U^\dagger U[/tex]

[tex]U^{-1}=U^\dagger[/tex]

[tex]e^{-iaX}=e^{-iaX^\dagger}[/tex]

[tex]X=X^\dagger[/tex]

The last step follows from a series expansion of both sides of the previous expression. Just match both sides term by term. Alternatively, instead of expanding in a series, just take the derivative of both sides with respect to a, and then set a=0.

Eugine and Fredick rock my socks.

thx

btw: I'm reading ballentine (ch 3) now...and understanding it!

also
Eugine: that discussion *really* helped

The reason to consider representations of SU(2) and not only representations of SO(3) is that in QM you do not only consider true representations of a group but also so called "ray representations" where the group multiplication may be acompanied by a further phase factor. The reason for this is that the wavefunctions are only defined up to a phase factor anyhow. The ray representations of SO(3) turn out to be just the ordinary representations of SU(2). In case of the Galilei group it is also of utmost importance to use a ray representation in QM. The group, in which the ray representations are true representations is the extended Galilei group which has an additional generator, namely mass. This should be explained in Ballentine.
The proof that unitary operators have Hermitian generators is known as Stones theorem.
Another book on group theory which is very helpful is from Morton Hammermesh, "Group theory and its application to physical problems" from Dover publications.

Related to Lie groups and angular momentum

1. What are Lie groups?

Lie groups are mathematical objects that describe continuous symmetries. They are named after the mathematician Sophus Lie, who first studied them in the 19th century. Lie groups are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including the study of angular momentum.

2. How are Lie groups related to angular momentum?

Lie groups play a key role in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. In this context, angular momentum is represented by operators that are associated with specific Lie groups. These operators help us understand the behavior of particles in terms of their rotational motion.

3. What is the physical significance of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a fundamental property of particles that describes their rotational motion. It is conserved, meaning that it remains constant unless an external force acts on the particle. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

4. How do Lie groups and angular momentum relate to each other in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the behavior of particles is described by wavefunctions, which are represented by vectors in a mathematical space known as Hilbert space. These wavefunctions can be transformed using Lie group operators, which correspond to physical rotations in 3D space. The eigenvalues of these operators represent the possible values of angular momentum for a given particle.

5. Are there any applications of Lie groups and angular momentum in real-world problems?

Yes, Lie groups and angular momentum have many real-world applications, particularly in areas such as quantum computing, nuclear physics, and molecular dynamics. They are also used in engineering and robotics to model the behavior of rotating systems and to design control algorithms for these systems.