LHC to achieve design energy in 2012/2013?

In summary: I know they have been looking for the Higgs Boson and that they think they have found it.This was all discussed on another forum I frequent, and none of the people there could seem to find a reliable source to back up the rumor. The only thing I could find was that on the first page of the LHC Portal, it says that there might be a "skip" in 2012. But I'm not sure if that's really evidence that there will be an increased risk in 2012 or not.In summary, the LHC is still going to run through to the end of 2012, and there is a good chance of finding new physics in the next two years. However, there is no guarantee that this will happen
malm1987
I kind of overheard an discussion over at another forum regarding this, but none could seem to find a reliable source to verify it. The only thing I could find is information from page 1 at the LHC Portal saying that the might "skip" the planned stop during 2012 and perhaps even increase energies during this period.

I thought that the stop was both maintenance AND machine development (in order to have a chance of achieving 15 TeV pp/7,5 TeV HIC)?

So, basically my question is whether or not this could be true?

And then I have a really stupid question to top it off; if mBH's were created at LHC during the last run, do you think those results would be available to the general public? I mean, there seems to be more than a little difference between the mBH's that LHC could produce according to the scientists involved and the mBH's the media et al thinks that the LHC could produce (i.e. harmless vs dangerous). If CERN did indeed see mBH creation, do you suppose they would "dare" to let the media know?

And finally, you guys were able to convince me that last years energies wouldn't kill us, so the mandatory questions now is; will the design energies have an increased risk of anything harmful whatsoever happening? I.e. could 15TeV/7,5TeV prove to be dangerous in any way, shape or form?

Physics news on Phys.org
mBH's, if they form the way they are theorized to form, form in our upper atmosphere every second of every day due to cosmic ray particle impacts with our atmosphere. Not only that, but the speed and magnitude of the CR collisions are orders of magnitude larger than what the LHC can produce. Based on this, it is well-decided that if mBH's exist, they pose no threat to us. Whether that makes the general public feel better, I don't know.

LHC is very fantastic machine human made.
Do we compare particles physical parameters to the ones which were obtained from other colliders before?
How accurate the values compared to the ones before made?

Last edited:
http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/45116

CERN has announced that the LHC will run through to the end of 2012, with a short technical stop at the end of 2011. The beam energy for 2011 will be 3.5 TeV. This decision, taken by CERN management following the annual planning workshop held in Chamonix last week and a report delivered by the laboratory’s machine advisory committee, gives the LHC experiments a good chance of finding new physics in the next two years, before the machine goes into a long shutdown to prepare for higher-energy running starting in 2014.

At the moment they are mostly looking at the physics we already know, but I'm not up to date on that.

Related to LHC to achieve design energy in 2012/2013?

What is the LHC and what is its purpose?

The LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, is a particle accelerator located at CERN in Switzerland. Its purpose is to accelerate subatomic particles to high energies and collide them to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws of physics.

When was the LHC built and when did it achieve design energy?

The LHC was built between 1998 and 2008, with the first successful collisions occurring in 2010. In 2012, it achieved its design energy of 8 TeV (teraelectronvolts) for proton-proton collisions, and in 2013, it achieved 2.76 TeV for lead-ion collisions.

What is the significance of achieving design energy?

Achieving design energy allows scientists to study particle interactions and collisions at the highest possible energies, providing a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and potentially discovering new particles. It also allows for more precise measurements and testing of theories.

What are the potential risks associated with running the LHC at design energy?

The main risk is the creation of micro black holes, although they are not a threat to the safety of the Earth. Another risk is radiation exposure, but strict safety protocols are in place to protect workers and the environment. Additionally, the LHC is designed to shut down automatically in case of any potential dangers.

What are the future plans for the LHC after achieving design energy?

The LHC will continue to run at design energy for the foreseeable future, allowing scientists to collect more data and make new discoveries. However, there are also plans to upgrade the LHC in the coming years to increase its energy even further, potentially unlocking even more mysteries of the universe.