Levitating on a bus, would you move toward the back of the bus?

• Thread starter bOOandYA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus
In summary, if you are levitating on a bus driving at a certain speed, you would remain stationary relative to the bus due to Newton's first law of motion. Your position on the bus would only change if the speed of the bus changes. However, the effects of levitation may vary depending on how it is achieved, such as opposing gravity with a force or reducing mass. Ultimately, this question is not applicable to the laws of physics and the thread is locked.
bOOandYA
If you’re on a bus driving at a certain speed, and you could somehow levitate, not touching the ground or the chairs, would you eventually move to the back of the bus or would you stay stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are already moving with the same speed as the bus, you would continue moving at that same speed and remain at rest relative to the bus. This is Newton's first law of motion.

If the speed of the bus changed, you would continue to travel at the original speed and move backward or forward relative to the bus- depending on whether the bus slowed down or sped up.

It could depend on how the levitation is accomplished. If you levitate by opposing gravity with a force then all of Newton's laws apply, you could also levitate by reducing your mass, then effects like air movements may affect your motion.

bOOandYA said:
If you’re on a bus driving at a certain speed, and you could somehow levitate, not touching the ground or the chairs, would you eventually move to the back of the bus or would you stay stationary?

Neither. I would move to the front so that all the passengers can see me.

xAxis said:
Neither. I would move to the front so that all the passengers can see me.
Hah!

bOOandYA said:
This is one of those "What do the laws of physics say will happen if I do something that violates the laws of physics" kind of questions. This thread is locked. Ask you question again with something that makes sense, such as a helium filled balloon.

Related to Levitating on a bus, would you move toward the back of the bus?

1. What causes objects to levitate on a bus?

Objects on a bus appear to levitate due to the force of motion. As the bus accelerates forward, objects inside the bus will continue to move forward at the same speed until acted upon by an external force, such as friction or gravity. This creates the illusion of levitation as the objects move forward with the bus.

2. Will I experience any weightlessness while levitating on a bus?

Yes, for a brief moment, you will experience a feeling of weightlessness as the bus reaches maximum acceleration. This is because the force of motion is equal to the force of gravity, canceling each other out and creating the sensation of weightlessness.

3. Will I move towards the back of the bus while levitating?

Yes, you will move towards the back of the bus while levitating. This is because the force of motion is acting on you, pushing you in the direction of the bus's acceleration. As the bus accelerates forward, you will move towards the back of the bus until another force, such as friction or gravity, acts upon you.

4. How does the mass and weight of an object affect its levitation on a bus?

The mass and weight of an object do not affect its levitation on a bus. Objects on a bus appear to levitate due to the force of motion, which is independent of an object's mass or weight. As long as the object is not acted upon by an external force, it will continue to move with the bus at the same speed, regardless of its mass or weight.

5. Is it safe to stand or move around while the bus is in motion?

No, it is not safe to stand or move around while the bus is in motion. While objects may appear to levitate on a bus, the force of motion can still cause them to fall or collide with other objects. It is important to remain seated and secure while the bus is in motion to prevent any accidents or injuries.