Lets say I have 18 independant events

• Thread starter WSAR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Events
In summary, an independent event is one that is not affected by any other events and its outcome does not depend on previous events. In this scenario, there are 18 independent events that are separate and do not affect each other. The probability of all 18 independent events occurring is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each individual event. Independent events can become dependent if there is a change in conditions or variables, where the outcome of one event starts to affect the outcome of another event. An event is considered independent if its outcome is not affected by any other events and dependent if it is influenced by the outcome of another event.
WSAR
Hi all,

I've a problem. Let's say I have 18 independant events. The outcome of each event could be 0, 1 or 2, with a probability of 0.5, 0.333 & 0.167, respectively. I want to know the easiest way to calculate the probability of achieving all scores between 0 & 36. As there's more than a 0 or 1 (or yes/no) answer I can't use the binomial distribution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Lets say I have 18 independant events

1. What is an independent event?

An independent event is an event that is not affected by any other events. In other words, the outcome of an independent event does not depend on the outcome of any previous events.

2. How many independent events do I have in this scenario?

In this scenario, you have 18 independent events. Each event is separate and does not affect the outcome of the other events.

3. How do I calculate the probability of all 18 independent events occurring?

The probability of all 18 independent events occurring is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each individual event. This is known as the multiplication rule for independent events.

4. Can independent events become dependent?

Yes, independent events can become dependent if there is a change in the conditions or variables of the events. For example, if the outcome of one event starts to affect the outcome of another event, they become dependent.

5. How do I know if an event is independent or dependent?

An event is considered independent if the outcome of that event is not affected by any other events. If the outcome of an event is influenced by the outcome of another event, then they are considered dependent.