Is It Necessary to Disprove Other Theories in Order to Prove One Correct?

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving a theory in conventional physics and the importance of considering existing theories and experimental evidence. It is mentioned that a theory cannot be proved correct, only falsified, and the importance of understanding observed behavior in developing a theory is emphasized. The conversation also addresses the need for a theory to comply with experiments and acknowledge the perspectives of others in the field.
scott_sieger
Hi guys, just seeking opinions and discussion,

As I am new to the realms of conventional physics I just thought I'd ask a question to help me understand the processes.

To prove a theory correct means that you have to prove every one elses theories wrong. Is this a true statement?

If so then most of the theoretical work you have to do is pulling other theories apart and disproving them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by scott_sieger
As I am new to the realms of conventional physics I just thought I'd ask a question to help me understand the processes.
No.
If so then most of the theoretical work you have to do is pulling other theories apart and disproving them.
No.

The vast majority of new theoretical work builds on existing theories. If only at the most basic level, a new theory MUST start with some existing theory.

A good describtion of a theory is here:

http://www.wilstar.net/theories.htm

Also: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hypothesis

HYPOTHESIS implies insufficient evidence to provide more than a tentative explanation <a hypothesis explaining the extinction of the dinosaurs>.
THEORY implies a greater range of evidence and greater likelihood of truth <the theory of evolution>.
LAW implies a statement of order and relation in nature that has been found to be invariable under the same conditions <the law of gravitation>. LAW mean a formula derived by inference from scientific data that explains a principle operating in nature.

So, theories can be wrong but then a lot of former proof needs to be falsified or explained in a logical different way. Most of the time theories are just refined. Some theories can be questioned but are usually well protected by skeptics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to put in some aspect that you're theory should have: it should comply with and explain some observed behaviour. In other words it has to agree with experiments. Setting up a theory that shows that superconductors can't exist is obviously a dumb theory since I can show you a superconductor in my lab.

and if you didn't have a superconductor in your lab? You wouldn't know whether it was dumb or not.

So theories have to comply with and explain some observed behaviour and would have to agree with experiments.

Now what if a theory is not agreeing with experiments, would it be falsified?

To prove a theory correct means that you have to prove every one elses theories wrong. Is this a true statement?

No. A theory cannot be proved correct. It can only be proved false.

Originally posted by scott_sieger
and if you didn't have a superconductor in your lab? You wouldn't know whether it was dumb or not.
If you didn't have a superconductor in your lab, you'd still be well advised to consider what others who DO have superconductors have to say on the matter before attempting to prove they can't exist.

So again - you may want to try to learn some of conventional physics before attempting to create your own.

What is the process of proving a theory correct?

The process of proving a theory correct involves conducting experiments and gathering evidence to support the hypothesis. This evidence must be reproducible and consistent in order to validate the theory.

How do you determine if a theory is correct?

A theory is considered correct if it is supported by a large body of evidence and has withstood rigorous testing and validation. It should also be able to make accurate predictions and explain a wide range of phenomena.

What role does peer review play in proving a theory correct?

Peer review is a critical step in the scientific process and plays a major role in proving a theory correct. It involves other experts in the field examining and critiquing the evidence and methodology used in the study, ensuring its validity and reliability.

Can a theory ever be proven completely correct?

No, a theory can never be proven completely correct as new evidence and advancements in technology can always lead to further refinement and revisions of the theory. However, a well-supported theory can be considered the most accurate explanation for a phenomenon at a given time.

What happens if evidence contradicts a theory?

If evidence contradicts a theory, it must be reevaluated and potentially revised or even discarded. This is an important aspect of the scientific process as it allows for the continual improvement and refinement of theories in light of new evidence.