Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Let f(x) = x^2 + 1 and g(x) = x^3 + 1.

crypt50

Jun 29, 2013
a) Over the field Q, compute h(x) = gcd(f(x), g(x)), and fi nd polynomials a(x) and b(x) such that h(x) = a(x)f(x) + b(x)g(x).
(b) Same question over the fi eld F_2 = {0, 1}.

I already computed the gcd(f(x), g(x)) to be 2, but I don't really understand how I'm supposed to find a(x) and b(x), and the difference the result is supposed to have when compared with result of part b.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

crypt50

Jun 29, 2013

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I already used the Euclidean algorithm to get the gcd which is 2, but I need help with the rest of the question.
The extended Euclidean algorithm (for $\mathbb Q[x]$) also provides the factors:

\begin{array}{rcrcrl}
1 \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& 0 \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& x^3 + 1 \\
0 \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& 1 \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& x^2 + 1 & \text{times (-x) and add to previous} \\
\hline \\
1 \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& (-x) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& -x + 1 & \text{times (x) and add to previous} \\
x \cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& (-x^2 + 1) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& x + 1 & \text{times (1) and add to previous} \\
(x+1)\cdot (x^3 + 1) &+& (-x^2 - x + 1) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& 2 & \text{divide by 2} \\
\frac 12(x+1)\cdot (x^3 + 1) &+&\frac 12 (-x^2 - x + 1) \cdot (x^2 + 1) &=& 1
\end{array}
$\blacksquare$

Last edited:

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
I think it's misleading to say "the gcd is 2", since any gcd is only determined up to a unit factor. In $\Bbb Q$, 2 is a unit, so we can claim just as easily that the gcd is 1, or 5. The important thing is that the gcd is of degree 0, so in particular is non-zero.

Over the field $F_2$, things are quite a bit different. For example, in $F_2$, we have that $x^2 + 1$ splits completely as:

$x^2 + 1 = (x + 1)(x + 1)$.

It should also be clear that in $F_2$ we have:

$x^3 + 1 = (x + 1)(x^2 + x + 1)$ where both of these factors are irreducible.

To show that $x + 1$ is the gcd (I use "the" here, because $F_2$ only HAS one unit, 1), it suffices to show $x^2 + 1$ does not divide $x^3 + 1$. I leave it to you to devise $a(x),b(x)$ a little algebraic tinkering should show you the proper polynomials to pick.

Last edited:

crypt50

Jun 29, 2013
I think it's misleading to say "the gcd is 2", since any gcd is only determined up to a unit factor. In $\Bbb Q$, 2 is a unit, so we can claim just as easily that the gcd is 1, or 5. The important thing is that the gcd is of degree 0, so in particular is non-zero.

Over the field $F_2$, things are quite a bit different. For example, in $F_2$, we have that $x^2 + 1$ splits completely as:

$x^2 + 1 = (x + 1)(x + 1)$.

It should also be clear that in $F_2$ we have:

$x^3 + 1 = (x + 1)(x^2 + x + 1)$ where both of these factors are irreducible.

To show that $x + 1$ is the gcd (I use "the" here, because $F_2$ only HAS one unit, 1), it suffices to show $x^2 + 1$ does not divide $x^3 + 1$. I leave it to you to devise $a(x),b(x)$ a little algebraic tinkering should show you the proper polynomials to pick.
My main problem is finding a(x), and b(x), and I still don't know how.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
My main problem is finding a(x), and b(x), and I still don't know how.
You can read it off from the extended euclidean algorithm I showed.
Take each coefficient mod 2.
Then the algorithm stops a couple of lines earlier, where the value 2 was found, which is actually 0 (mod 2).
The line before that line shows the gcd, a(x), and b(x).

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Yes, that works, and is the "rote" way to find it (no real thinking is required).

For example, we first divide $x^3 + 1$ by $x^2 + 1$ obtaining:

$x^3 + 1 = x(x^2 + 1) + x + 1$ (step one)

$x^2 + 1 = (x + 1)(x + 1) + 0$ (step two)

as this has a remainder of 0, we "back up one step" and find the gcd is $x + 1$:

$x + 1 = x^3 + 1 - x(x^2 + 1) = x^3 + 1 + x(x^2 + 1)$

(because in $F_2, 1 = -1$), which tells us that $a(x) = x, b(x) = 1$.

As I remarked earlier, though, just by "playing around" one quickly discovers that:

$x(x^2 + 1) + (1)(x^3 + 1) = x^3 + x + x^3 + 1 = 2x^3 + x + 1 = x + 1$.

Last edited: