Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Let f(x) be the step f'n f(x)=0 if x<0, f(x)=1 if x>=0. Every cts. f'n on [-1,1] is in Riemann{x)

mm1239

Dec 14, 2012
Let f(x) be the step f'n f(x)=0 if x<0, f(x)=1 if x>=0. Every cts. f'n on [-1,1] is in Riemann{x)

Is this True/False- and demonstrate with a short proof or counterexample:

Let f(x) be the step function f(x) = 0 if x<0, f(x) = 1 if x>= (greater than or equal to) 0. Every continuous function on [-1,1] is in Riemann(x).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Re: Let f(x) be the step f'n f(x)=0 if x<0, f(x)=1 if x>=0. Every cts. f'n on [-1,1] is in Riemann{x

Let f(x) be the step function f(x) = 0 if x<0, f(x) = 1 if x>= (greater than or equal to) 0. Every continuous function on [-1,1] is in Riemann(x).
What is Riemann(x)? And what do you think yourself about the question?

mm1239

Dec 14, 2012
Re: Let f(x) be the step f'n f(x)=0 if x<0, f(x)=1 if x>=0. Every cts. f'n on [-1,1] is in Riemann{x

Sorry I think the question should actually end with "is in Riemann wrt f"

I think the answer is true since the function is clearly bounded and we can show f to be integrable. Is that correct?

What is Riemann(x)? And what do you think yourself about the question?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012

Sorry I think the question should actually end with "is in Riemann wrt f"
Sorry, but it is still not clear to me what it means for a function to be in Riemann wrt another function.

mm1239

Dec 14, 2012

Yes, I'm not sure either. The exact question is:

"Is the following question true or false? Motivate your answer with a short proof or counterexample:

Let theta(x) be the step function theta(x) = 0 if x<0 and theta(x) = 1 if x>= 0. Every continuous function on [-1,1] is in R(theta)."

There's also a follow-up question that asks whether "every left continuous function on [-1,1] is in R(theta)."

Sorry, but it is still not clear to me what it means for a function to be in Riemann wrt another function.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012

You have to find out the definition of R(θ) in your textbook or lecture notes. The only guess I have is that it may denote the set of functions \(f\) whose Riemann–Stieltjes integral \(\int f(x)\,d\theta(x)\) exists. Maybe someone has a better guess.

mm1239

Dec 14, 2012

Just looked it up- that's it! Still not sure how to prove this or the follow-up question though- any idea?

You have to find out the definition of R(θ) in your textbook or lecture notes. The only guess I have is that it may denote the set of functions \(f\) whose Riemann–Stieltjes integral \(\int f(x)\,d\theta(x)\) exists. Maybe someone has a better guess.

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012

Just looked it up- that's it! Still not sure how to prove this or the follow-up question though- any idea?

This is a completely standard theorem is R-S integrals.
If $f$ is continuous on $[a,b]$ and $g$ is monotone non-decreasing there then $f$ is $g\text{-integerable}$ on $[a,b]$.

In this case it almost trivial. Any division of $[-1,1]$ has a refinement that includes 0 as an endpoint.
On any sub interval $[x_j,x_k]$ in the refinement if $x_k\ne 0$ then $\theta(x_k)-\theta(x_j)=0$.

Also, you know that $f$ is uniformity continuous on $[-1,1]$.