Less harmful electromagnetic waves

In summary, the speaker is seeking information about a combination of an electromagnetic wave and a material that can pass through human tissues but is blocked by the material. They mention that X-ray and gamma waves can penetrate the body but are absorbed by metals and lead. They have searched on Wikipedia but have not found the answer yet and are asking for help. A response states that radio waves can pass through the body but are blocked by metal, and the speaker wonders if they can diffract around objects.
ductrungvn
Hi guys,
I am too old to remember basic knowledge about electromagnetic waves :D
I am looking for a combination of an electromagnetic wave and a material such that the wave can pass through human tissues, but it is blocked by the material. All I know is that X-ray/gamma can penetrate human body but is absorbed by metals/lead. Are there any such other combination which are less harmful than X-ray. I have gone through Wikipedia for few hours but still have not found the answer yet.
Could you please help me.
Thank a lots.

Physics news on Phys.org
Radio waves pass easily through the human body, but are blocked by an appropriate thickness of metal (or any conductor).

Thank you for the answer!
But I think radio waves are able to diffract around the object, is that right?

Related to Less harmful electromagnetic waves

1. What are "less harmful electromagnetic waves"?

"Less harmful electromagnetic waves" refer to the radio waves, microwaves, and infrared radiation that have lower frequencies and longer wavelengths compared to other types of electromagnetic waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays. These waves are considered less harmful because they have lower energy levels and are less likely to cause damage to living organisms.

2. How do "less harmful electromagnetic waves" affect human health?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that exposure to "less harmful electromagnetic waves" has negative effects on human health. While some studies have suggested a possible link between long-term exposure to these waves and certain health issues, the evidence is not strong enough to establish a direct cause and effect relationship. Additionally, regulations and guidelines are in place to limit human exposure to these waves, further reducing any potential risks.

3. Can "less harmful electromagnetic waves" cause cancer?

There is no definitive evidence that exposure to "less harmful electromagnetic waves" can cause cancer. While some studies have suggested a possible link, the overall scientific consensus is that the low energy levels of these waves make it unlikely for them to cause damage to DNA and result in cancer. However, more research is still needed to fully understand the potential long-term effects of these waves on human health.

4. How can we protect ourselves from "less harmful electromagnetic waves"?

To protect ourselves from "less harmful electromagnetic waves", we can limit our exposure by using hands-free devices for cell phones, keeping a safe distance from electronic devices, and using lower power settings on our wireless devices. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and regulations set by organizations such as the World Health Organization and the Federal Communications Commission.

5. Are there any benefits to "less harmful electromagnetic waves"?

Yes, there are several benefits to "less harmful electromagnetic waves". They are used in various technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting, Wi-Fi, and cell phones. They also play a crucial role in medical imaging, weather forecasting, and satellite communication. Additionally, they are less likely to cause harm to living organisms, making them a safer option for everyday use compared to other types of electromagnetic waves.