Leonard Susskind : Classical Mechanics

In summary, the derivative of the first derivative squared is 2x'x'' according to Susskind in his classical lecture 3. However, this is based on his assumption that X(t) is a function of time, not just x. Some viewers argue that he is not using the chain rule properly and that if x is a function of time only, the derivative would be 2dx/dt * d^2x/dt^2. However, it is important to remember that in the Euler-Lagrange equations, the LHS is not taking the time derivative of the Lagrangian, but the derivative of the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the coordinate velocity. This is because the coordinate velocity should be
Physics news on Phys.org
isn't the derivative of the first derivative squared:
d/dt (x')^2 = 2x'x''? why does susskind claim it is 2x'', in his classical lecture 3?

he assumes X(t) so 'x' is a function of time not only of x , he is using the chain rule

Ithink he is not using the chain rule properly. if x is a function of time only, d/dt (dx/dt)^2 = 2dx/dt * d^2x/dt^2

lolgarithms said:
Ithink he is not using the chain rule properly. if x is a function of time only, d/dt (dx/dt)^2 = 2dx/dt * d^2x/dt^2

You've already asked this question, and had it answered in another thread. I don't know where abouts in the video you've seen this, but I'm guessing it has to do with the Euler-Lagrange equations:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\Big(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{x}}\Big)=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial x}[/tex]

So, the LHS is not taking the time derivative of the Lagrangian, but is instead the time derivative of the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the coordinate velocity. It is important to treat the coordinate velocity as a variable; that is [tex]\mathcal{L}\equiv\mathcal{L}(x, \dot{x})[/tex].

If this doesn't clear things up, let me know the exact time in the video that you're confused with, and I'll try and look at it.

cristo said:
You've already asked this question, and had it answered in another thread.

I had the thread deleted because i decided I wanted to post it here.

Related to Leonard Susskind : Classical Mechanics

What is Leonard Susskind's contribution to classical mechanics?

Leonard Susskind is a renowned physicist and professor at Stanford University who is best known for his contributions to the development of string theory and quantum mechanics. However, he has also made significant contributions to classical mechanics, particularly in the fields of statistical mechanics and cosmology.

What are some key concepts in Susskind's approach to classical mechanics?

Susskind's approach to classical mechanics focuses on the use of symmetry principles and Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations. He also emphasizes the importance of understanding the underlying physical principles and using simple mathematical tools to derive complex equations.

How does Susskind's approach to classical mechanics differ from traditional approaches?

Susskind's approach differs from traditional approaches in its emphasis on the use of modern mathematical tools, such as group theory and differential geometry, to analyze classical mechanical systems. He also incorporates elements of quantum mechanics and relativity into his approach, making it more comprehensive and unified.

What are some current research topics related to Susskind's work in classical mechanics?

Some current research topics related to Susskind's work in classical mechanics include the application of his methods to problems in condensed matter physics, cosmology, and black hole thermodynamics. There is also ongoing research into the connections between classical and quantum mechanics, which Susskind has explored extensively in his work.

How has Susskind's work in classical mechanics impacted the field of physics?

Susskind's work in classical mechanics has had a significant impact on the field of physics, particularly in the development of string theory and other areas of theoretical physics. His approach has also influenced how physicists think about and approach classical mechanical problems, leading to new insights and advancements in the field.