Lenz's Law - Induced Magnetic Field/Current

In summary, two coils are suspended around a central axis with one connected to a resistor and the other to a battery. The direction of the magnetic field in the coil with the battery is from right to left, while the induced magnetic field in the coil with the resistor is also from right to left. The direction of the induced current in the resistor is from b to a (counterclockwise).
pujam3

Homework Statement

Two coils are suspended around a central axis as shown in the figure below. One coil is connected to a resistor with ends labeled a and b. The other coil is connected to a battery E The coils are moving relative to each other as indicated by the velocity vectors v. Use Lenz’s law to answer the following question concerning the direction of induced currents and magnetic fields.

1)The direction of the magnetic field in the coil with the battery attached is
A1: from right to left ([tex]\Leftarrow[/tex] Bprimary).
A2: from left to right (Bprimary [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]).

2)The direction of the induced magnetic field in the coil with the resistor attached is
B1: from right to left ([tex]\Leftarrow[/tex] Binduced).
B2: from left to right (Binduced [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]).

3)The direction of the induced current in resistor R is
C1: from b through R to a ([tex]\leftarrow[/tex]I).
C2: from a through R to b (I[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]).

Picture is attached.

1. A1, B1, C1 (<-- my guess, but incorrect)
2. A2, B1, C1
3. A1, B2, C1
4. A1, B2, C2
5. A2, B2, C1
6. A1, B1, C2
7. A2, B2, C2
8. A2, B1, C2

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

1) The coil with the battery, the current flows from + to -, and I have made the conclusion that the magnetic field goes from right to left since in a coil the current flows 'downwards' into the coil at the South pole of the field, and the current flows 'upward' out of the coil at the North pole of the field. I'm not sure if my speculation is correct though.

2) If what i said in question 1 is correct, then i can make the left end of the coil with the battery the "north pole" and the right end of the battery the "south pole". As the coils are moving away from each other, the induced magnetic field in the coil with the resistor attached would be towards the coil with the battery (right to left) as the (3) current should flow counterclockwise in the coil with the resistor (from b to a)

Apparently I'm making a mistake somewhere here as my answer was not correct.

Attachments

• Two Coils.JPG
    Two Coils.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 748
Physics news on Phys.org
Solved.

Can you help me?

I would like to offer the following response:

According to Lenz's law, the direction of the induced current and magnetic field is always such that it opposes the change that caused it. In this case, the coils are moving relative to each other, creating a changing magnetic field. Therefore, the direction of the induced current and magnetic field in the coil with the resistor will be such that it creates a magnetic field that opposes the changing magnetic field created by the coil with the battery attached.

1) The direction of the magnetic field in the coil with the battery attached will be from left to right (Bprimary \Rightarrow) as the current is flowing from + to -.

2) The direction of the induced magnetic field in the coil with the resistor attached will be from right to left (\Leftarrow Binduced) as it opposes the changing magnetic field from the coil with the battery.

3) The direction of the induced current in resistor R will be from b through R to a (\leftarrowI) as it also opposes the changing magnetic field and flows in a counterclockwise direction in the coil with the resistor.

Related to Lenz's Law - Induced Magnetic Field/Current

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

How does Lenz's Law relate to induced magnetic fields?

Lenz's Law is directly related to induced magnetic fields because it explains the direction of the induced current in a conductor, which in turn creates a magnetic field. The direction of the induced magnetic field will be opposite to the change in the original magnetic field that caused the current.

What is the difference between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law are closely related and often confused with each other. Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, while Lenz's Law explains the direction of the induced current in a conductor. Essentially, Faraday's Law is a more general law, while Lenz's Law is a specific application of it.

How does Lenz's Law affect the motion of conductors in a magnetic field?

Lenz's Law has a direct impact on the motion of conductors in a magnetic field. When a conductor is moved in a magnetic field, an induced current is created according to Lenz's Law. This induced current will create a magnetic field that interacts with the original magnetic field, resulting in a force that opposes the motion of the conductor.

What are some real-world applications of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law has several practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in electromagnetic braking systems, induction heating, and magnetic levitation. Lenz's Law is an important concept in the study of electromagnetism and has numerous applications in various industries.