Lens/Radius of Curvature Question

• Thread starter johnwalton84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the radius of curvature of a lens made of crown glass with a refractive index of 1.51. The person is unsure about how to use the Lens' Maker's equation and the sign convention when the radii of both surfaces are the same. They also mention another part of the question involving an achromatic doublet to correct for chromatic aberration.
johnwalton84
I'm working through some questions on lenses, and I'm a bit stuck on this one involving radius of curvature.

The part of the question I'm having difficulty with is

The lens is made of crown glass of refractive index n=1.51. The radii of both surfaces is the same. What is the radius of curvature of the surfaces?

The lens is bi-convex ([tex]f=+20cm[/tex]). The first part of the question involves finding heights, natures and magnifications of objects which is fine, but this part doesn't make any sense. I thought about using the Lens' Maker's equation but if [tex]R_1=R_2[/tex] would the right-hand-side of this equation not equal zero?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sign convention

johnwalton84 said:
I thought about using the Lens' Maker's equation but if [tex]R_1=R_2[/tex] would the right-hand-side of this equation not equal zero?
No. The usual form of the lens maker's equation assumes a sign convention such that if the center of curvature is on the right side of the lens surface then the radius is positive. Thus [itex]R_1[/itex] is positive, but [itex]R_2[/itex] is negative.

I see, thanks :cool:

Having said that, there's another part to that same question that I'm not sure of. It says

A flint glass lens is placed in contact with the crown glass lens. The refractive index of the flint glass is 1.632 for blue light and 1.615 for red light. What is the focal length of the flint glass lens that would compensate for the chromatic aberration of the crown glass lens?

and I'm not sure where to go with it...

achromatic doublet

Look up "achromatic doublet": Two lenses (of different dispersive powers) used together to correct chromatic dispersion. The basic idea is to create a composite lens that focuses the red and blue light at the same point.

Related to Lens/Radius of Curvature Question

1. What is the lens/radius of curvature question?

The lens/radius of curvature question is a question that asks about the curvature of a lens. It is commonly used in optics and physics to determine the focal length and power of a lens.

2. How do you calculate the radius of curvature for a lens?

The radius of curvature for a lens can be calculated using the formula: R = 2 * f * n, where R is the radius of curvature, f is the focal length of the lens, and n is the refractive index of the lens material.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of curvature and the power of a lens?

The radius of curvature and the power of a lens are inversely related. This means that as the radius of curvature decreases, the power of the lens increases and vice versa.

4. How does the lens/radius of curvature question relate to the bending of light?

The lens/radius of curvature question is directly related to the bending of light. A lens with a smaller radius of curvature will bend light more than a lens with a larger radius of curvature. This is because the curvature of the lens affects the angle at which light passes through it.

5. Why is the lens/radius of curvature question important in the field of optics?

The lens/radius of curvature question is important in optics because it allows us to understand and manipulate the behavior of light as it passes through lenses. This is crucial in the design and construction of various optical instruments such as cameras, microscopes, and telescopes.