Lens Problem, Help from Anyone Thank you, I appreciate it very much

In summary, the conversation is about solving a lens problem where an object is placed 30 mm in front of a lens and an image is located 90 mm behind the lens. The focal length of the lens is calculated to be 22.5 mm and the resulting image is a real image. The conversation also discusses drawing the lens and rays to show the situation described.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] Lens Problem, Help from Anyone! Thank you, I appreciate it very much!

Homework Statement

An object is placed 30 mm in front of a lens. An image of the object is located 90 mm behind the lens.
a) What is the focal length of the lens?
b) On an axis (the x-axis) draw the lens at position x=0. draw at least two rays and locate the image to show the situation described above.

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/Do + 1/Di

The Attempt at a Solution

if i use -90mm then f= -45.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"... i am not sure of is whether or not i should say -90mm because it says behind the lens."
Distances in the gaussian form to the thin lens equation you gave are real positive values.

"...but since i got 22.5 as the focal, my drawing isint coming out right."
Remember, the focal length is the distance in front or behind where rays from a point source will converge. In your problem, they are wanting you to show how the arrow will look at 90mm, if I understand correctly.

but don't you draw the rays thorugh the focal point?

actually i think that picture just confused me more. but thanks for tyring to help.

wait so would the resulting image be real or virtual?

Sorry the link caused confusion but the pic is exactly what you have here.

Edit: removed quote about virtual images.

Last edited:
what do u mean by "Edit: removed quote about virtual images."

This is what I was wanting to quote in the previous post:

"...if an object is placed at a distance S1 along the axis in front of a positive lens of focal length f, a screen placed at a distance S2 behind the lens will have an image of the object projected onto it, as long as S1 > f. This is the principle behind photography. The image in this case is known as a real image."

oooooooooooo okay i understand you now, thank you,
but is my answer to part a) right?

Yep. Glad I could help.

so 22.5 is right?
and thanks

Yes. 22.5mm. And since this is image distance is grater than this focal length, the image is real.

Related to Lens Problem, Help from Anyone Thank you, I appreciate it very much

1. What is a lens problem?

A lens problem refers to any issue or malfunction that occurs with a camera lens. This can include blurry images, focusing errors, or physical damage to the lens.

2. How can I identify a lens problem?

There are a few ways to identify a lens problem. One way is to take test shots with your camera and see if the images appear blurry or distorted. You can also check the physical condition of the lens for any scratches or cracks.

3. What are some common causes of lens problems?

Some common causes of lens problems include dropping the camera, exposing the lens to extreme temperatures or moisture, or using the lens in harsh environments. Age and wear and tear can also contribute to lens problems.

4. Can I fix a lens problem myself?

It depends on the severity of the problem. Some minor lens issues can be fixed by cleaning the lens or adjusting some settings on the camera. However, for more complex problems or physical damage, it is best to seek professional help from a camera repair technician.

5. How can I prevent lens problems?

To prevent lens problems, it is important to handle your camera and lens with care. Avoid dropping the camera or exposing it to extreme conditions. Regularly cleaning and maintaining your lens can also help prevent issues from arising. It is also important to use a protective case or lens cap when the camera is not in use.