Lens Optics: Converging Lenses Question

In summary, the conversation discusses using converging lenses with different focal lengths to determine the size and orientation of a final image. The first lens has a focal length of 40 cm and the second lens has a focal length of 33 1/3 cm. An object of height 6.0 cm is placed 20.0 cm in front of the first lens. After calculations, it is determined that the final image is inverted with a size of 24.0 cm. The negative sign in the magnification calculation represents the inversion of the image, not its size. Further clarification can be found in the textbook.
twalters84

Homework Statement

Two converging lenses, the first with focal length 40 cm and the second with focal length 33 1/3 cm, are separated by 10.0 cm. An object of height 6.0 cm is placed 20.0 cm in front of the first lens. What are the size and orientation of the final image?

A. 6.0 cm, upright
B. 6.0 cm, inverted
C. 24.0 cm, upright
D. 24.0 cm, inverted
E. 1.5 cm, inverted

Homework Equations

Lens #1:

F1 = 40 cm
Do1 = 20 cm

Lens #2

F2 = 33 1/3 cm = (100 / 3) cm

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the image after the first lens as follows:

1 / di1 = 1 / f1 - 1 / do1 = 1 / 40 cm - 1 / 20 cm = -1 / 40 cm

di1 = -40 cm

Negative Image Distance should imply it is a virtual image on the same side as the object.

The 2nd lens is 10 cm in front of the 1st lens, so the distance between the virtual image and the 2nd lens should be 10 cm + 40 cm = 50 cm

do2 = 50 cm

Now, I attempt to find the image after the 2nd lens as follows:

1 / di2 = 1 / f2 - 1 / do2 = 1 / (100 / 3) cm - 1 / 50 cm = 1 / 100 cm

di2 = 100 cm

Now, I attempted to find the magnification.

M1 = - di1 / do1 = - (-40) / 20 = 2
M2 = - di2 / do2 = - 100 / 50 = -2
Mn = M1 x M2 = 2 x -2 = -4

Does this mean the image should be four times as small?

The answer key states the answer is 24.0 cm. However, if it was four times as small it would be 1.5 cm.

Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance as it is greatly appreciated.

Travis Walters

Physics news on Phys.org
If the image was to be 4 times smaller then M would be -0.25. The negative sign tells you about orientation. If you want to work it out mathematically, magnification is also expressed as M = h'/h, where h' is the size of the image and h is the size of the object. You have found M now, and know h because it was given in the question. This will allow you to solve for h'.

Hey

Hey there,

The only thing that is throwing me is M = -4.

That means h' = M * h = -4 * 6.0 cm = -24 cm

Obviously, it is not going to have a negative size :)

Can somebody explain to me what I am doing wrong here. After I have this negative sign figured out, I think I will understand optics a bit better.

Thanks in advance.

Travis Walters

Doesn't the minus sign have to do with whether the object is inverted or not? What does you text say about this?

Last edited:
The negative sign tells you it is inverted, which is what I meant by "orientation" in my last post. It has nothing to do with size. Like dlgoff suggested, look it up in your textbook. All of this should be explained in it.

Related to Lens Optics: Converging Lenses Question

1. What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens. This type of lens is used to bend light rays towards a central point, which is called the focal point.

2. How does a converging lens work?

A converging lens works by bending light rays that pass through it. The light rays that pass through the lens are refracted, or bent, towards the center of the lens. This causes the rays to converge at a focal point, creating a magnified image.

3. What is the focal point of a converging lens?

The focal point of a converging lens is the point where parallel light rays will converge after passing through the lens. This point is located on the principal axis of the lens, which is an imaginary line that passes through the center of the lens.

4. How is the focal length of a converging lens determined?

The focal length of a converging lens is determined by the curvature of the lens and the refractive index of the material it is made of. It is the distance between the lens and its focal point. The longer the focal length, the less the light rays are bent and the less magnified the image will be.

5. What are some common uses of converging lenses?

Converging lenses have many practical applications, including in eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes. They are also used in microscopes, projectors, and magnifying glasses. Additionally, they can be used in scientific experiments to study the properties of light and optics.