Lens Flare/Halo: Photographing in Vacuum - Effects

• Thread starter technobot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Halo
In summary, lens flares are caused by the lens itself and other similar effects can be seen in the atmosphere due to reflections and refraction. If the lens distortions are neglected and a vacuum is assumed, there should be no halo around the light source, only the bright surface of the light itself. However, this may not be accurately perceived by the human eye due to potential vision impairments.
technobot
I was wondering - if I were to photograph (or look at) a bright source of light in full vaccum, would I see a halo around the light source, or any other lense flares? If so, does it form purely due to the lense optics, or are there some other contributing effects?

Science news on Phys.org
Lens flares, as the name implies, are from the lens itself. There are other similar effects seen in the atmosphere due to reflection off dust and or water dropplets, refraction, etc.

ok, so if I neglect the lense distortions, and assume a vacuum (hence no scattering), then I should see no halo? Just the bright surface of the light itself?

Well, unless you have truly excellent vision (particularly no astigmatism), you can't trust your own eyes either.

Related to Lens Flare/Halo: Photographing in Vacuum - Effects

1. What is lens flare/halo in photography?

Lens flare and halo are optical effects that occur when light enters the camera lens and reflects off its various components, resulting in bright, hazy spots or circles in the image.

2. How does the vacuum affect lens flare/halo in photography?

In a vacuum, there is no air or other particles to scatter the light, so lens flare and halo may appear more prominent and defined in photographs. This is because there are fewer obstructions for the light to reflect off, creating more intense and concentrated effects.

3. Can lens flare/halo be controlled or eliminated when photographing in a vacuum?

Yes, lens flare and halo can be controlled or eliminated to some extent by adjusting the camera settings, such as using a lens hood or adjusting the angle of the camera to avoid direct light sources. However, they can also add a unique and artistic element to photographs, so some photographers may choose to embrace them in their images.

4. What are some tips for photographing in a vacuum to capture lens flare/halo?

To capture lens flare and halo in a vacuum, try using a wide-angle lens and positioning the camera to capture the light source at an angle. You can also experiment with different camera settings and exposure times to achieve the desired effect.

5. Are there any potential risks to the camera or lens when photographing in a vacuum?

Yes, there are potential risks to the camera and lens when photographing in a vacuum. The lack of air can cause the camera's internal components to overheat, and the pressure difference can also cause the lens to crack or shatter. It is important to use specialized equipment designed for use in a vacuum and to follow proper safety protocols when photographing in this environment.