Lenovo X230 vs T430: Laptop Comparison for CS/Engineering Majors

• Thread starter SuperMiguel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nvidia
In summary, the x230 is a 13" laptop with a 1600x900 resolution and an IPS display, while the X230T is a tablet with the same resolution and an IPS display. They both have a 6-cell battery, an Intel 6300 wireless card, and a 1GB 5400M Nvidia video card.
SuperMiguel
hello guys, I am a computer engineering/computer science major on my senior year... I been using a 13" macbook air since i stared, but that got stolen few days ago... btw i used to have windows and linux on it (actual dual booting, no virtualization)

Anyways i usually go to work 7-4, then go to school 5 to ~10, when not in class I am at the lib studying, or working on research at a lab...

The programs i run the most in windows are Visual Studio, and AVR Studio (Now called Atmel Studio). Visual studio few of my classes, and Atmel for my research program in robotics doing micro-controllers programming... Linux i use it as a C/C++/java/python development platform, most of the time using vim and cli.

If i order any of this machines, it will have the i7-3520M, 16GB of ram, 512GB SSD, 6-cell batt (to keep weight down), Intel 6300 wireless card.

Now the true difference between this 2 laptops :)

• The x230 resolution is 1366x768 while the t430 is 1600x900, I am thinking if i go for the x230 this my hurt me for my programming tasks since the resolution may be to low... Now the otherthing is that x230 has an IPS monitor compared with a LED monitor on the 1600x900 which doesn't have the best reviews out there... Also at home if i get the 230 i can connect it to an external monitor, and in school i could probably connect it to an external monitor in the research lab
  • The x230 also with a 6-cell gets about 6h battery life, the t430 gets about 4...
  • Finally the x230 has a regular 4000 HD video card, and on the t430 you can get 1GB 5400M Nvidia Video Card
  • And finally weight the x230 is about 1.5lb lighter than the t430, + the ac adapter of the t430 is heavier than the x230 one, so we can say about 2lb lighter in general.. This doesn't seem like much but with books, and hardware it can add up =)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is there a question in there somewhere or are you just rambling ?

phinds said:
Is there a question in there somewhere or are you just rambling ?

just asking for you guys opinion :) on which one would you guys pick and why

You could also look at the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook as it has very very similar spec's
if not i would suggest going for the 13.5" x230 as you can just plug it into external monitor's plus its got a 9.9hr battery life and only weighs 1.5kg(3.3lbs) including charger. in terms of resolution the higher the resolution and the smaller the display the smaller the overall visual quality meaning you would have to set up the DPI on your OS to avoid eye strain.

I'm an IT technician & support officer and i deal with Lenovo/IBM on a daily basis they are a great company to deal with.

Personally though i would just look at cheaper laptops that can do the exact same thing, i do however love typing on all macbooks vs normal laptops, that being said i would still rather have longer battery life, more money in my pocket/bank/investments then buy something that does above and beyond what i require.

Now i also got the option to get the tablet version of the x230, the x230t... Any of you guys use a table for note taking in class?

Related to Lenovo X230 vs T430: Laptop Comparison for CS/Engineering Majors

What are the main differences between the Lenovo X230 and T430 laptops?

The main differences between the Lenovo X230 and T430 laptops are their size, weight, processor, and graphics card. The X230 is smaller and lighter, making it more portable, while the T430 is slightly larger and heavier. The T430 also has a faster processor and a better graphics card, making it more suitable for intensive tasks such as video editing or gaming.

Which laptop is better for CS/Engineering majors?

Both the X230 and T430 are suitable for CS/Engineering majors, as they both have powerful processors and sufficient memory for running coding and engineering software. However, the T430 may be a better option for those who need to use more graphics-intensive programs.

What is the battery life like on the X230 and T430?

The X230 has a slightly longer battery life than the T430, with up to 9 hours of usage compared to the T430's 6 hours. However, this can vary depending on usage and settings.

Do the X230 and T430 have the same storage options?

No, the X230 has a maximum storage capacity of 500GB, while the T430 can hold up to 1TB of storage. The T430 also has the option for a solid-state drive, which can provide faster read and write speeds.

Which laptop is more durable?

Both the X230 and T430 are known for their durability, with strong chassis and spill-resistant keyboards. However, the T430 may be slightly more durable due to its larger size and thicker build. It also has the option for a rubberized coating, making it more resistant to scratches and dings.