Lennard-Jones Force Formula Python Program

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the Lennard-Jones formula in Python, specifically the terms "characteristic binding energy" and "characteristic molecular size." The formula calculates the force between two particles, and the variables "bind" and "sigma" represent the minimum energy and distance at which the force becomes zero, respectively. It is recommended to plot the formula with different values for these variables and to check the units for consistency.
eximius
I'm not looking for the answer, I just want some help with understanding the question. The main thing I'm stuck on is the characteristic binding energy and the characteristic molecular size. I've tried searching for these but I'm finding a lot of different stuff.

Homework Statement

All to be done in Python.
physforumsq.jpg

Homework Equations

F = (-24*bind)*(((2.0/r)*(sigma/r)**12) -((1.0/r)*(sigma/r)**6))

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've done so far. I'm not even sure if the formula function is correct. Because the plot I get begins at a high value fort the Force but falls quickly to zero and remains at zero.

Code:
def lgfunc(bind,sigma,r):
    '''
    Function to calculate force between two particles using
    Lennard-Jones formula
    '''
    F = (-24*bind)*(((2.0/r)*(sigma/r)**12) -((1.0/r)*(sigma/r)**6))

return F

#For H2 -

bind = 4.48*1.6e-19
sigma = 2.92e-10
r = linspace(0,5e-9,50000)

plot(r,lgfunc(bind,sigma,r),'r.')

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org

I can provide some clarification on the terms "characteristic binding energy" and "characteristic molecular size" in the context of the Lennard-Jones formula you are working with.

The characteristic binding energy in this formula refers to the minimum energy required to break the bond between two particles. In other words, it is the energy at which the force between the particles becomes zero. In your code, this is represented by the variable "bind," which is multiplied by -24 in the formula.

The characteristic molecular size, on the other hand, refers to the distance at which the force between the particles is zero. In the Lennard-Jones formula, this is represented by the variable "sigma." This value is typically the distance at which the potential energy between the particles is at its minimum.

In terms of understanding the formula itself, it may be helpful to plot it with different values for "bind" and "sigma" to see how they affect the shape of the curve. You can also try plotting the potential energy (rather than the force) to get a better sense of how these variables impact the overall interaction between the particles.

Additionally, I would recommend looking into the units for each variable in the formula to ensure that they are all consistent. This may also help with understanding the behavior of the plot.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification. Happy coding!

Related to Lennard-Jones Force Formula Python Program

What is the Lennard-Jones force formula and what does it represent?

The Lennard-Jones force formula is a mathematical equation that describes the intermolecular forces between two particles. It represents the attractive and repulsive forces that act between two particles at a given distance.

How does the Lennard-Jones force formula Python program work?

The Python program uses the Lennard-Jones force formula to calculate the force between two particles at a given distance. It takes into account the particle's distance, mass, and other parameters to generate an accurate force value.

Can the Lennard-Jones force formula Python program be used to simulate real-world scenarios?

Yes, the Lennard-Jones force formula Python program can be used to simulate real-world scenarios, such as the interactions between particles in a gas or liquid. It can also be used to study the behavior of molecules and atoms in various environments.

Are there any limitations to using the Lennard-Jones force formula Python program?

While the Lennard-Jones force formula is a widely accepted model for intermolecular forces, it is not always accurate and may not accurately represent the behavior of all particles. Additionally, the program may not be able to account for all variables and factors that can affect the force between particles.

Can the Lennard-Jones force formula Python program be modified for different systems?

Yes, the Lennard-Jones force formula Python program can be modified to work with different systems by adjusting the parameters and values used in the calculation. It can also be used in conjunction with other formulas and models to better represent specific systems or scenarios.