Length of Spring at Equilibrium: Find Solution with Mass, Length & Constant

• Thread starter FrozenWinters
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for calculating the length of a spring at equilibrium is L = m * g / k. The spring constant can be determined by using Hooke's Law and dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement. The length of a spring at equilibrium can be changed by adjusting the mass or spring constant. Gravity affects the length of a spring at equilibrium by balancing the force of gravity with the spring force. The length of a spring at equilibrium can also be used to determine the weight of an object by rearranging the formula and solving for the mass and then using the formula for weight.
FrozenWinters
A spring of mass m, length l, and spring constant of k, is suspended. What is its length at equilibrium?

My current approach: look at the change in expansion relative to distance of the unexpanded spring. However, the differential equation I revive is unsolvable.

Physics news on Phys.org
F=-kx+mg...when does that equal 0? (This x gives the stretching)

FrozenWinters said:
My current approach: look at the change in expansion relative to distance of the unexpanded spring. However, the differential equation I revive is unsolvable.

That''s the right way to do it. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=177689

Related to Length of Spring at Equilibrium: Find Solution with Mass, Length & Constant

1. What is the formula for calculating the length of a spring at equilibrium?

The formula for calculating the length of a spring at equilibrium is L = m * g / k, where L is the length of the spring, m is the mass attached to the spring, g is the gravitational constant, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do I determine the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring. This can be done by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

3. Can the length of a spring at equilibrium be changed?

Yes, the length of a spring at equilibrium can be changed by altering the mass attached to the spring or adjusting the spring constant. When these factors are changed, the spring will stretch or compress to reach a new equilibrium length.

4. How does gravity affect the length of a spring at equilibrium?

Gravity affects the length of a spring at equilibrium by pulling down on the mass attached to the spring. This causes the spring to stretch or compress until the force of gravity is balanced by the spring force, resulting in a stable equilibrium length.

5. Can the length of a spring at equilibrium be used to determine the weight of an object?

Yes, the length of a spring at equilibrium can be used to determine the weight of an object by rearranging the formula L = m * g / k to solve for the mass of the object. Once the mass is known, the weight can be calculated using the formula weight = mass * gravitational constant.