Cosmic microwave background radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses an article about a survey of the cosmic microwave background radiation using a satellite called WMAP. This survey provides more detailed measurements than previous ones, including the polarization of the radiation. The article also mentions some of the first results from WMAP, such as the age and matter content of the universe. The conversation then brings up questions about detecting the fundamental constituents and geometry of the universe.
BryceG
i read a article and i can't really understand all of it. I get some but then its beyond me.
If someone could briefly summarise it so i can understand.

Here is the link.

http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/624-1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This article describes a survery of the cosmic microwave background radiation made by a satellite called the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). Basically, it uses two radio telescopes to measures the energy of the radiation coming from every direction in space. The energy of the radiation can be described with a "characteristic" temperature.

WMAP is not the first such survey. The last one, done by the COsmic Background Explorer (COBE) satellite, had much lower resolution -- it could not discern details as fine as WMAP did. In addition, WMAP can also measure the polarization of the radiation, which is essentially the plane of the varying electric field of the radiation photons.

The page goes on to describe some of the first numerical cosmological results from WMAP, including the age of the universe and its matter content.

Please ask me some specific questions if you have any.

- Warren

all our investigationtions of the universe involve EM detection in one
way or another, but in theoreis of gravity the geometry or string holds
as the basic, "thing" of the universe can these things be detected?

I'm not sure I understand wolfram's question ... is it "can the fundamental constituents of the universe - strings* - be detected?" Or maybe, "can the geometry** of the universe be detected, other than by observations of electro-magnetic radiation?"

*in the sense of what's in String Theory/M Theory.

**in the sense of General Relativity.

1. What is cosmic microwave background radiation?

Cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) is a type of electromagnetic radiation that permeates the entire universe. It is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang and is considered the oldest light in the universe.

2. How was CMB discovered?

CMB was first discovered by accident in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, who were using a radio telescope to study satellite communication. They found a low-level, uniform signal coming from all directions in the sky, which was later confirmed to be CMB.

3. What is the significance of CMB?

CMB is significant because it provides evidence for the Big Bang theory and helps us understand the early stages of the universe. It also provides crucial information about the composition and evolution of the universe.

4. How is CMB measured?

CMB is measured using sensitive radio telescopes, such as the Planck telescope or the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). These telescopes measure the temperature and intensity of the radiation to create a map of the CMB across the sky.

5. What does CMB tell us about the universe?

CMB tells us about the age, size, and composition of the universe. It also reveals the presence of dark matter and dark energy, which make up the majority of the universe's mass and energy. CMB also provides evidence for the inflationary model of the universe, which explains the rapid expansion of the universe after the Big Bang.