Length Contraction & Relativistic Aberration: Is 1 Formula Enough?

In summary, the length contraction and relativistic aberration formulas may both be needed in your calculations depending on the specific case you are simulating. However, if you are only interested in computing an image in one frame given that in another, the relativistic aberration formula alone is sufficient. It is important to clarify the specific case you are simulating in order to determine the necessary formulas for your calculations.
Kevin Willis
I have been coding a speed of light simulator and I am having a bit of trouble with a few aspects of the project. My first question is:

Are the length contraction and relativistic aberration formulas BOTH needed in my calculations or does the relativistic aberration formula already account for the length contraction?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to clarify what you are trying to calculate. The aberration formula is a self contained consequence of the Lorentz transform for angles of 'light rays'. If all you are interested is computing an image in one frame given that in another, this is all you need.

Kevin Willis said:
I have been coding a speed of light simulator and I am having a bit of trouble with a few aspects of the project. My first question is:

Are the length contraction and relativistic aberration formulas BOTH needed in my calculations or does the relativistic aberration formula already account for the length contraction?​
The effect of length contraction is of course included in the relativistic aberration formula. Nevertheless, as PAllen said, it may be useful to specify what case you simulate.

Related to Length Contraction & Relativistic Aberration: Is 1 Formula Enough?

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which an object's length appears to be shorter when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that space and time are relative and can be perceived differently by different observers.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs because of the time dilation effect, which is caused by the constant speed of light. As an object moves faster, its time is perceived to be slower relative to an observer, causing its length to appear shorter.

3. What is the formula for calculating length contraction?

The formula for length contraction is L = L₀/γ, where L is the contracted length, L₀ is the rest length of the object, and γ is the Lorentz factor, which is dependent on the object's velocity.

4. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, length contraction can be observed in everyday life, but it is only significant at speeds close to the speed of light. For example, particles in accelerators undergo length contraction and appear to be shorter when they are moving at high speeds.

5. How is length contraction related to relativistic aberration?

Relativistic aberration is a phenomenon in which objects appear to be angled differently when viewed from a moving frame of reference. It is related to length contraction because the contracted length of an object will cause it to appear at a different angle when viewed from a moving frame of reference.