Length contraction at an angle

In summary, the conversation is about solving parts (a) and (b) of problem 4-15 in chapter 4 of the book Special Relativity by A.P. French. The problem involves a flash of light emitted at point O and reabsorbed at point P, with a length l and angle θ in frame S, and a frame S' moving with a constant velocity v along the x axis. The first method used to solve part (b) gives an answer of γl(1-βcosθ)/c, while the second method gives an answer of l'(1-β^2cos^2θ)^1/2. The discrepancy may be due to not taking into account the movement of point
saadhusayn
Hi,

My question concerns the following problem from chapter 4 of Special Relativity by A.P. French. A statement of the problem:

4-15 A flash of light is emitted at point O and is later reabsorbed at point P. In frame S, the line OP has a length l and makes an angle θ with the x axis. In a frame S' moving relative to S with a constant velocity v along the x axis:

(a) How much time τ' elapses between emission and absorption of the light?

(b) What is the spatial separation l' (l primed) between the point of emission and the point of absorption of the light?I solved part (a) correctly using the transformation equation t' = γ(t – vx / c^2), taking t to be l/c (i.e. the time the light takes to make it across OP in the S frame and x to be lcos θ. My answer is γl(1- β cos θ)/c, where β = v/c. I solved part b correctly by multiplying the answer to part a by c. I get γl(1- βcos θ).

The problem is, when I try to solve part (b) using an alternate method, I get a different answer. My reasoning is this:

The horizontal x-component of OP (lcos θ) looks contracted in the S' frame while the vertical component (lsin θ) is unaffected. So (l')^2 = (lcosθ /γ)^2 + (lsinθ)^2. So my final answer is

l' = l(1- β^2cos^2 θ)^1/2

Why is the second result different from the answer to part (b)? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

saadhusayn said:
The problem is, when I try to solve part (b) using an alternate method, I get a different answer. My reasoning is this:

The horizontal x-component of OP (lcos θ) looks contracted in the S' frame while the vertical component (lsin θ) is unaffected. So (l')^2 = (lcosθ /γ)^2 + (lsinθ)^2.

Did you take into account the fact that the point P moves relative to frame S' while the light is propagating from O to P?

Related to Length contraction at an angle

What is length contraction at an angle?

Length contraction at an angle is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when observed from a different frame of reference. This effect is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

What causes length contraction at an angle?

Length contraction at an angle is caused by the relative motion between two frames of reference. As an object moves at high speeds, its length appears to decrease in the direction of motion when observed from a different frame of reference.

How is length contraction at an angle calculated?

The formula for calculating length contraction at an angle is L = L₀/γ, where L is the contracted length, L₀ is the original length of the object, and γ is the Lorentz factor, which depends on the relative velocity between the two frames of reference.

Is length contraction at an angle a real phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction at an angle is a real phenomenon that has been observed and verified through numerous experiments. It is an important concept in the theory of special relativity and has been supported by a vast amount of evidence.

What are the practical implications of length contraction at an angle?

Length contraction at an angle has significant implications in the fields of physics and engineering. It is taken into account in the design of high-speed vehicles and plays a crucial role in particle accelerators. It also has implications in GPS technology and has been used to explain certain astronomical observations.