Length change for a rod of two sections

In summary, the length of each section of a brass rod increases by 1.20 mm when the other end is pulled.
Myr73
A rod is made of two sections joined end to end. The sections are identical, except that one is steel and the other is brass. While one end is held fixed, the other is pulled to result in a change in length of 1.20mm. By how much does the length of each section increase ?
I understand that E (brass) = 1/2 E steel.
However first of all. when it change in length of 1.20 mm, is it talking about the complete change in length or just the one of the steel?
After that, I am unsure how to put the equation together. I understand that Change in L = 1/E (F/A) L0
But considering we don't have F and A. I know a previous explanation just took F/A out, but I can't see how that would work.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Myr73. Welcome to PF!

I think they mean the total change in length is 1.20 mm.

Can you find the ratio ΔLsteel/ΔLbrass?

Thank you,
Umm so like {(1/Esteel)(F/A)L0steel }/ {(1/Ebrass)(F/A) L0brass} ??
do F and A cancel there--> 1/Esteel L0Steel / 1/Ebrass Lobrass ?? Idk

Myr73 said:
Thank you,
Umm so like {(1/Esteel)(F/A)L0steel }/ {(1/Ebrass)(F/A) L0brass} ??
do F and A cancel there--> 1/Esteel L0Steel / 1/Ebrass Lobrass ?? Idk

Yes, F and A cancel. Anything else cancel? Note that they said each rod is identical except for the material.

So Lo cancels as well lol.. Then ΔLsteel/ΔLbrass= 1/ESteel / 1 / Ebrass.. Would I cancel the 1's as well? = ESteel/Ebrass?
Does ΔLsteel/ΔLbrass=2 ?

$$\frac{\Delta L_{steel}}{\Delta L_{brass}} = \frac{ \frac{1}{E_{steel}}}{\frac{1}{E_{brass}}}$$

Be careful when you simplify this. Do you remember rules for dividing by a fraction?

umm.. ΔLsteel/ΔLbrass= Ebrass/Esteel.= 0.5 ?

Yes.

hugh..nice thanks.. however I don't know what to do next.

You have two unknowns. What are they?

To solve for two unknowns you need two equations that relate the unknowns. Can you write down two equations that you could use to solve for the unknowns?

The two unknowns are Delta L (brass) and (steel). Or do you mean the F and A.. I am sorry I honestly don't know. on-line classes sometimes leaves me with a shortage of information.

Yes, your two unknowns are ΔLsteel and ΔLbrass.

You have found the ratio of these and that gives you one equation to work with.

You will need another relation between ΔLsteel and ΔLbrass. Can you write down a second relation (or equation) based on what's given in the problem?

ok,
Let's see I have --> L0(brass)= L0(Steel) , L = 2L0(b)=2L0(s) or = L0(b) + L0(s)
Delta L = Lfb-L0b + Lfs-L0s ( although I can't see how I can use that)
Delta L= 1.2mm
ok umm --> 1.2mm = Delta L (brass) + Delta L (S)
and 0.5 Delta L Brass= Delta L Steel
--> 1.2=1.5 Delta L (Brass)
--> 1.2/1.5=0.8mm = Delta L (Brass)
1.2-0.8= 0.4mm= Delta L( Steel)
Is that right, or am I way off ? lol

Myr73 said:
ok umm --> 1.2mm = Delta L (brass) + Delta L (S)
and 0.5 Delta L Brass= Delta L Steel
--> 1.2=1.5 Delta L (Brass)
--> 1.2/1.5=0.8mm = Delta L (Brass)
1.2-0.8= 0.4mm= Delta L( Steel)
Is that right, or am I way off ? lol

That looks correct. Good work! :smile:

Likes 1 person
Thank you :).. You help me a lot , I appreciate your kindness

Related to Length change for a rod of two sections

1. How does the length of a rod change when it is divided into two sections?

The length of a rod will remain the same regardless of whether it is divided into two sections or not. The total length of the rod is the sum of the lengths of each section.

2. Does the material of the rod affect the change in length when divided into two sections?

Yes, the material of the rod can affect the change in length when divided into two sections. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which can cause the rod to expand or contract at different rates.

3. What factors can cause a length change for a rod of two sections?

The primary factor that can cause a length change for a rod of two sections is a difference in temperature between the two sections. Other factors may include external forces or stresses applied to the rod, as well as changes in the material properties due to aging or wear.

4. Is there a mathematical formula to calculate the change in length for a rod of two sections?

Yes, the change in length for a rod of two sections can be calculated using the formula ΔL = L0 * α * ΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, L0 is the initial length, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. Can the change in length for a rod of two sections be reversed?

In most cases, the change in length for a rod of two sections can be reversed by returning the rod to its original temperature. However, this may not always be the case, especially if the rod has been subjected to external forces or stresses that have permanently altered its shape or properties.