Length around intersection of polar curves

In summary: So do I use 3 different curves then since you gave...Yes, you would use 3 different curves.In summary,Sketch the 2 polar curves r = -6cos(theta), r = 2 - 2cos(theta).a. Find the area of the bounded region that is common to both curves.b. Find the length around the intersection of both curves.
calcboi
Sketch the 2 polar curves r = -6cos(theta), r = 2 - 2cos(theta).
a. Find the area of the bounded region that is common to both curves.
b. Find the length around the intersection of both curves.
I got a, but I don't know what to do for b because in my calculus book it only shows how to find the length of a single polar curve, not two. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
calcboi said:
Sketch the 2 polar curves r = -6cos(theta), r = 2 - 2cos(theta).
a. Find the area of the bounded region that is common to both curves.
b. Find the length around the intersection of both curves.
I got a, but I don't know what to do for b because in my calculus book it only shows how to find the length of a single polar curve, not two. Please help!

Welcome to MHB, calcboi! :)

Did you find the intersection points of the curves?

Suppose you divide the length around the intersection in a set of 3 curves.
Can you find each of those curves?
And then calculate the length of each of them?

I like Serena said:
Welcome to MHB, calcboi! :)

Did you find the intersection points of the curves?

Suppose you divide the length around the intersection in a set of 3 curves.
Can you find each of those curves?
And then calculate the length of each of them?

I found the intersection points to be 2pi/3 to 4pi/3.
If I divided the length around the intersection into 3 curves, I could find the area from the curve to the origin if I knew the equation of each one. I don't understand how to come up with one polar equation to solve for the intersection or is there a way to do it for both polar curves.

calcboi said:
I found the intersection points to be 2pi/3 to 4pi/3.
If I divided the length around the intersection into 3 curves, I could find the area from the curve to the origin if I knew the equation of each one. I don't understand how to come up with one polar equation to solve for the intersection or is there a way to do it for both polar curves.

Good!

But I'm unclear now on what you want to calculate.
Is it the area contained by both curves?
Or is is the arc length around this intersection area?

Anyway, let's call your curves $r_1$ and $r_2$.
Curve $r_1$ is a circle to the left of the y-axis.
Curve $r_2$ intersects $r_1$ at $\theta=\frac \pi 2$, $\theta=\frac 2 3 \pi$, and in the origin.

To trace through the area enclosed by both curves, you would first start on curve $r_1$ with an angle $\theta=\frac \pi 2$ up to $\theta=\frac 2 3 \pi$.
Then trace curve $r_2$ from $\theta=\frac 2 3 \pi$ up to $\frac 4 3 \pi$.
And finally trace curve $r_1$ again from $\theta=\frac 4 3 \pi$ up to $\frac 3 2 \pi$.

For the area, you need the integral formula for the area of a polar curve.
For the arc length, you need the arc length formula for polar curves.

Do you have those?

Yes, I have the formulas and I got the area already. I have the polar arc length formula but it only works when there is one curve, just one r. I have r1 and r2, two different curves, and I am unsure how to calculate the arc length with two polar curves.

calcboi said:
Yes, I have the formulas and I got the area already. I have the polar arc length formula but it only works when there is one curve, just one r. I have r1 and r2, two different curves, and I am unsure how to calculate the arc length with two polar curves.

Can you show us the formula you've got?

I like Serena said:
Can you show us the formula you've got?

Length of a Polar Curve

L = integral from a to b of square rt(r^2 + (dr/dtheta)^2) dtheta

calcboi said:
Length of a Polar Curve

L = integral from a to b of square rt(r^2 + (dr/dtheta)^2) dtheta

Good!

Use the following curve:
$$r = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
-6 \cos \theta & \qquad \text{ if } \frac \pi 2 \le \theta < \frac 2 3 \pi \\
2-2 \cos \theta & \qquad \text{ if } \frac 2 3 \pi \le \theta < \frac 4 3 \pi \\
-6 \cos \theta & \qquad \text{ if } \frac 4 3 \pi \le \theta \le \frac 3 2 \pi \\
\text{undefined} & \qquad \text{ otherwise}
\end{array}\right.$$
And take the integral from $a=\frac \pi 2$ to $b=\frac 3 2 \pi$.

I like Serena said:
Good!

Use the following curve:
$$r = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
-6 \cos \theta & \qquad \text{ if } \frac \pi 2 \le \theta < \frac 2 3 \pi \\
2-2 \cos \theta & \qquad \text{ if } \frac 2 3 \pi \le \theta < \frac 4 3 \pi \\
-6 \cos \theta & \qquad \text{ if } \frac 4 3 \pi \le \theta \le \frac 3 2 \pi \\
\text{undefined} & \qquad \text{ otherwise}
\end{array}\right.$$
And take the integral from $a=\frac \pi 2$ to $b=\frac 3 2 \pi$.

So do I use 3 different curves then since you gave me a piecewise function?
Like for one I use 6cos(theta) and so on.

calcboi said:
So do I use 3 different curves then since you gave me a piecewise function?
Like for one I use 6cos(theta) and so on.

It's the same thing.
You can use 3 different curves and add their lengths.
Or you can use 1 curve that has a piecewise definition.
To calculate its length you still have to split the integral into 3 integrals.

Related to Length around intersection of polar curves

1. What is the formula for finding the length around the intersection of polar curves?

The formula for finding the length around the intersection of polar curves is given by L = ∫ab √(r2 + (dr/dθ)2) dθ, where r is the polar curve and a and b are the points of intersection.

2. How do you determine the points of intersection for polar curves?

To determine the points of intersection for polar curves, set the equations for the curves equal to each other and solve for θ. These values of θ will correspond to the points of intersection.

3. Can the length around the intersection of polar curves be negative?

No, the length around the intersection of polar curves cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the distance around the intersection.

4. What is the significance of finding the length around the intersection of polar curves?

The length around the intersection of polar curves can be used to calculate the area enclosed by the curves, which has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding the length around the intersection of polar curves?

Yes, the formula assumes that the curves intersect at a finite number of points and that the curves do not intersect themselves. It also assumes that the curves are smooth and continuously differentiable. If these conditions are not met, the formula may not give an accurate result.