Legendre's ODE: Fundamental Solution for L = 2, 3, 4...

• A
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses an ODE with various solutions for different values of L. The correct equation is identified as the associated Legendre equation and a possible solution is provided. It is noted that for L ≥ 2, there are non-trivial solutions known as Legendre functions.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm wondering what the fundamental solution is for this ODE
$$
f''(x)+\cot (x) f'(x) + \left( 2-\frac{L^2}{\sin(x)} \right) f(x) = 0 : L = 2,3,4...
$$

I know one solution is $$
(\cos(x)+L)\left(\frac{1-\cos(s)}{1+\cos(s)}\right)^{L/2}
$$
but I don't know the other. Mathematica isn't much help here, as it only gives me a solution but not for ##L=1## (Legendre Polynomials) but not a general solution for ##L\geq 2##. Any help is very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that your equation is correct?
If it instead would be
##f''(x)+\cot(x)f'(x)+(2-\frac{L^2}{\sin(x)^2})f(x)=0##,
it is the associated Legendre equation.

Likes member 428835
eys_physics said:
If it instead would be
Thanks, you're correct, I made a typo. Ughhh such a dumb mistake!

Likes eys_physics
eys_physics said:
If it instead would be
So I'm thinking about this, and if ##L \geq 2## then ##P_1^L = 0## identically. Thus, we only have one solution for the ##L \geq 2## case. But the ODE is second order, so we must be missing something. Clearly ##Q_1^L(\cos x)## is one solution, but what would the second be?

eys_physics said:
Well, there are non-trivial solutions. But, for ##L\geq 2## they are the so-called Legendre functions, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendre_function .
I saw this just before you posted it., but thanks a bunch!

Related to Legendre's ODE: Fundamental Solution for L = 2, 3, 4...

What is Legendre's ODE?

Legendre's ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a second-order differential equation that is used to solve problems in physics and engineering. It is named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first studied and described its properties.

What is the fundamental solution for Legendre's ODE?

The fundamental solution for Legendre's ODE is a set of functions that satisfy the equation and can be used to find solutions for specific boundary conditions. For L=2, 3, and 4, the fundamental solution is the set of Legendre polynomials, which are orthogonal polynomials with a wide range of applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

How are the fundamental solutions for L=2, 3, and 4 related?

The fundamental solutions for L=2, 3, and 4 are related through a recurrence relation, which allows for the calculation of one solution using the previous one. This makes it possible to find solutions for higher values of L by using the fundamental solution for L=2 (the well-known Legendre polynomials).

What are the applications of Legendre's ODE and its fundamental solutions?

Legendre's ODE and its fundamental solutions have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, including solving problems related to heat conduction, fluid mechanics, and electrostatics. They are also used in mathematical physics to describe physical phenomena and in numerical analysis to approximate solutions for more complex equations.

How is Legendre's ODE different from other differential equations?

Legendre's ODE is a second-order differential equation that is linear, homogeneous, and has constant coefficients. This means that it can be solved using well-established techniques, such as separation of variables and power series, and its solutions have special properties that make them useful in various fields of science and engineering.