How can c be shown to bisect the angle between a and b?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a proof involving vectors and angles. The problem is to show that c bisects the angle between a and b, using Corollary. However, the given solution assumes what is being proven and does not use the fact that the angles are equal. Another approach suggested is to divide by the magnitudes and use the parallelogram method to show that c bisects the angle.
TheMadCapBeta
Hello everyone.

I have to solve this proof, and I'm having a little trouble. Let me explain.

<Let bold lower case letter represent a vector, and |a| represent the length of vector.>

If c = |a|b + |b|a, where a, b, and c are all nonzero vectors, show that c bisects the angle between a and b.

I'm trying to prove this by Corollay, since both angles will be equal (and half of the whole between a and b.

So:

cos(x) = (b · c) / |b||c|

cos(x) = (a · c) / |a||c|

[(b · c)/|b||c| ] = [ (a · c) / |a||c| ]

[(b · (|a|b + |b|a))/|b||c| ] = [(a · (|a|b + |b|a))/|a||c| ]

Then distributing the numerator on each side and by dot product

b · b = |b|^2 and a · b = |a||b|cos(x)

So:

[(|a||b|^2 + |b||a||b|cos(x))/|b||c| ] =

[(|a||a||b|cos(x) + |b||a|^2)/|a||c| ]

And this is basically as far as I got. I saw some oppurtunites to factor out some components but it didn't really come to much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have to hand it in by wednesday.

Thanks again.

-Doug

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your main problem is that just about the very first thing you did was to assume what you're trying to prove! You can't use the fact that the two angles are equal because you're trying to prove it.

What do you suggest?

dude,

divide by the magnitudes,

c/(|a||b|)=a(unit vector)+ b(unit vector)

now there's the parallelogram method for adding vectors, where a and b form two sides of a parallelogram, and since they are UNIT vectors, the parallelogram will have equal sides. Therefor, each half of the rhombus is an isosceles triangle. c will be cut across the diagonal of this rhombus.

Last edited:
Your idea of computing angles with dot products is good; but you need to use that to prove the angles are the same.

Originally posted by theunknot
dude,

divide by the magnitudes,

c/(|a||b|)=a(unit vector)+ b(unit vector)

now there's the parallelogram method for adding vectors, where a and b form two sides of a parallelogram, and since they are UNIT vectors, the parallelogram will have equal sides. Therefor, each half of the rhombus is an isosceles triangle. c will be cut across the diagonal of this rhombus.

c= |a||b|( a/|a| + b/|b|)

c/|a||b| = a/|a| + b/|b|

Here's what I got out of your reply. c/|a||b| will be the resultant vector of the two unit vectors on the right side. And yes, since they are UNIT vectors , the parallelogram will be an equilateral quadtrilateral. The c vector will be the hypotenuse, bisecting the angle...

theunknot. Good job pointing this out, I really didn't see it.
But yes, Hurkyl is right. The angle must be proven symmetrical.

I'm going to try and work this out more. Any more advice would be welcome. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a vector proof?

A vector proof is a mathematical method used to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem involving vectors. It involves using vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, to show that the statement is true.

2. Why is vector proof important?

Vector proof is important because it allows us to prove theorems and mathematical statements involving vectors, which are commonly used in many fields of science and engineering. It provides a rigorous and logical way to validate mathematical concepts and theories.

3. How do you approach a vector proof?

The first step in approaching a vector proof is to clearly state the statement or theorem that you want to prove. Then, use the properties of vectors, such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity, to manipulate the given vectors and arrive at the desired result. It is important to show each step of the proof and provide a clear explanation for each manipulation used.

4. What are some common challenges in vector proofs?

Some common challenges in vector proofs include identifying the correct vector properties to use, determining the right approach to manipulate the given vectors, and keeping track of the different vectors and their components throughout the proof. It is important to practice and develop a strong understanding of vector operations to overcome these challenges.

5. How can I improve my vector proof skills?

To improve your vector proof skills, you can practice solving a variety of problems involving vectors. It is also helpful to review and understand the properties of vectors and how they can be used in different situations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or working with a study group can provide valuable insights and strategies for approaching vector proofs.