LED 'ON' light across power switch

In summary, you can wire a LED indicator light to your boat's 12V battery using either a resistor or a current limiting device, and applying power to the load will also activate the LED.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I wish to attach an LED indicator light across the main power to the 12V battery on my boat. This light will let me know from a convenient location whether I've remembered to switch off the main power.

How do I wire it up?

The LED is obviously 3V.
The light would only be ON if the power switch is on.
If the LED fails, I don't want it to kill the power.
Do I simply splice it in parallel with the hot side of the battery wire?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The LED is not "obviously" 3V at all! And this is not how you calculate LED circuits. If it's a vanilla LED without internal resistor, then it has a voltage drop of 1.7 V and the remaining Voltage over the pre-resistor will be used to adjust the current.
I would try a 800Ohms resistor in series with the diode which would give around 15mA with 12 V or a 700Ohms one if it is indeed specified to run directly on 3V. But you would do best to check the specs of the diode to see what currents you can use. If your diode burns then it shouldn't shortcut, but even if it did it will not be a problem.

http://www.theledlight.com/LED101.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also (as I would) just use a small 12V incandescent bulb such as from a car dashboard wired in parallel.

0xdeadbeef said:
i would try a 800ohms resistor in series with the diode which would give around 15ma with 12 v

(12 - 1.7) / .015 = 686.7 Ohms.

A more conservative drive level for typical GaAs LEDs (which normally have a 20 mA max forward current) is 10 mA, so use a ~1k resistor.

DaveC426913 said:
I wish to attach an LED indicator light across the main power to the 12V battery on my boat. This light will let me know from a convenient location whether I've remembered to switch off the main power.

How do I wire it up?

The LED is obviously 3V.
The light would only be ON if the power switch is on.
If the LED fails, I don't want it to kill the power.
Do I simply splice it in parallel with the hot side of the battery wire?
You could just go to Radio Shack and purchase a http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032293" which has a current limiting resistor built in.

How do I wire it up?

You would wire the resistor in series with the LED (as above) between the cold side of the switch and ground.
When you apply power to the load, you would also apply power to the LED / resistor combination.

LEDs have to be the right way around and usually have one lead longer than the other and this is the positive lead.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
How do I wire it up?

You would wire the resistor in series with the LED (as above) between the cold side of the switch and ground.
When you apply power to the load, you would also apply power to the LED / resistor combination.
Got it.

I feel embarrassed, having taken basic electronics in night school. Seem to have forgotten much of it.

vk6kro said:
LEDs have to be the right way around and ususally have one lead longer than the other and this is the positive lead.
Yes. This much I knew.

Thank y'all.

Related to LED 'ON' light across power switch

1. What does it mean when the LED 'ON' light is lit across the power switch?

The LED 'ON' light indicates that the power switch is turned on and the device is receiving electricity. This light is typically used as a visual indicator for the user.

2. Can the LED 'ON' light be turned off?

In most cases, the LED 'ON' light cannot be turned off as it is connected to the power switch and is an integral part of the device's design. However, some devices may have a separate switch or button to turn off the LED light.

3. Why is the LED 'ON' light important?

The LED 'ON' light serves as a convenient way for users to know if the device is turned on or off. It also helps in troubleshooting any power-related issues with the device.

4. Is the LED 'ON' light different from the power indicator light?

Yes, the LED 'ON' light and the power indicator light are two separate lights. The LED 'ON' light is connected to the power switch and indicates if the device is on or off. The power indicator light, on the other hand, shows if the device is receiving power from an external source.

5. Can the LED 'ON' light be replaced if it stops working?

Yes, the LED 'ON' light can be replaced if it stops working. However, it is recommended to get it replaced by a professional to avoid any damage to the device. Also, make sure to use the same type of LED light as the original one for proper functioning.